rubrail

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Rick

rubrail

Post by Rick »

The weather is starting to turn (for the better!)in the Thumb of Michigan and I'm starting to get antsy to finish up on my '64 Super Lancer. Over the winter, I ordered the rub rail #0109G from Wefco and I need to know how to attach it to the gunnel: nails? screws? How far apart should either the nails or screws be? When I bought the boat the rub rail wasn't on there. I''m also looking for the spline which holds the glass in the aluminum tilt-out windshield frame.
Any vendors and/or part numbers will be greatly appreciated!
C'mon summer!!
Rick
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

I gather that you are refering to the metal rub rail and the one that you bought is not predrilled. The holes on the rub rail on my 55 Off Shore are 6"(six inches) from center to center. Slotted screws with a curved top. Holes are counter sunk. I have never seen one of these nailed in place. Except on a bad repair job.
Can't help you with the windshield question.
Karl.
Classicboats4me

Rubber Rub Rail.

Post by Classicboats4me »

The best time to do this is on a very HOT day !! I did this last fall. I used a air brad nail gun. Get some strong buddy's to come over and pull/strech the rubrail as you attach it.Find the middle of your new stuff and tack this at the bow. Have one guy hold and pull to the portside. You and your other buddy go to the starboard. I worked and nailed about every inch or so. Only nail/tach 1/2 way around the bow at first. Then switch to the other side. Once you have it tached up 1/2 way around the bow on bothsides. Then both people can pull together on oneside as you go along. Give it a real good pull . Think like a painter would laydown a tape to get a straight edge. Stand back and check to make sure it is not geting wavey. When you get to the ends don't cut it just yet.
Start your metel insert a the bow. keep nailing in order starting at bow and working to the stern. don't go a head of yourself of let others nail in ahead of you. Take your time and get it straight. Butt the next peice tight to the others by the windows too. Work your insert around the back corners. Before you cut off ends think about some strinkage. You can leave it longer for a day before you put on end caps.
I best time to do this is on a very hot day !!
I only used the air nailer to attach the rubber.
I used a hammer and nails to attach the metel trim. The nails should have button style head.
I did this job on my 1965 Thompson Sea Mate
Ron Pistohl
1965 Thompson Sea Mate
1975 Yar-Craft Yankee
Oshkosh,Wisconsin.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/waddlep/show/