outside keel and stem ???

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

JALL

outside keel and stem ???

Post by JALL »

On a '57 Cruisers Inc. Commadore, is the outside keel and outside stem all one piece or two, made up of the stem and then the keel ? THANK YOU for any help.
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Jall,

The outer keel and stem are two different pieces as are the ineer keel and stem. They are butt jointed near the end of the curve of the stem and they are thru bolted with carage bolts to the inner keelson.

Good Luck,

Phill
JALL

Post by JALL »

Thank You! Mine seem to be (the bolts) broken. I wanted to loosen them and caulk the keel from the outside. If all bolts are broke what's holding the outer keel in place? Any ideas?
richnle

Post by richnle »

On my Grady there were carriage bolts and then also screws going from the outer keel into the inner keel. There are several screws between each set of carriage bolts. Remove the finish from the outer keel and you should be able to find all of the screw locations to remove the putty and then the screws.

Rich
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

There usually are only two carriage bolts, one on either side of the butt joint between outer keel and outer stem. You should be able to see the other end of the bolt plus the washer and nut on the inside of the boat under the floor boards.

Screws hold outer keel and stem on. These will be countersunk and puttied.

Andreas