stain with screws in or out ??

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

tcvc

stain with screws in or out ??

Post by tcvc »

Ok I have a question. Still working on my 1930s Thompson TVT. This boat has several hundred exposed brass screws. If I take all the planks, rub rail, cowling etc and screw them down and fair them to where they should be, when I use the stain filler it’s going to get into all the slots of the screws. So if I attach everything then remove all the screws and stain it after fairing, then re screw everything back again, I’m taking forever. How did Thompson use to do it and how do you do it now? Also how about the ones with the finish washers, do I varnish right over them like I would the counter sunk ones ?
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

They built dozens of boats a day at Thompson, so believe me, they didn't attach components, then remove the fasteners, finish the surfaces and then reattach fasteners. Everything was attached and they finished afterwards. Spray guns were used maybe even as far back as the 1930s. That's just a guess.

Stain and varnish right over the top of the fasteners and call it a day.

Andreas
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

For what it is worh I second what Andreas said. We tend to want to" over restore" our projects , cars and boats. I also believe what he said about the sprayguns to be true as well. More mechanized than we think. If you look at prewar pics of the Chris Craft Factory in Algonac you can see them using what can only be described as motorized screwdrivers.
Karl.
tcvc

Re: stain with screws in or out ??

Post by tcvc »

Ok, maybe with stain, but as I stated i'm using stain filler, and I don't see any way, anyone would just use this and varnish over it. It fills the screw slots.........
tcvc wrote:Ok I have a question. Still working on my 1930s Thompson TVT. This boat has several hundred exposed brass screws. If I take all the planks, rub rail, cowling etc and screw them down and fair them to where they should be, when I use the stain filler it’s going to get into all the slots of the screws. So if I attach everything then remove all the screws and stain it after fairing, then re screw everything back again, I’m taking forever. How did Thompson use to do it and how do you do it now? Also how about the ones with the finish washers, do I varnish right over them like I would the counter sunk ones ?
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

Get your self a lot of Q-tips :lol:
Maybe someone else will have an answer but all I can see doing is to wipe off the screw heads after you stain.
Keep us all posted.
Karl.
sayuncle

Post by sayuncle »

I am working on mid 40's TVT. Mine has varnish over all the screw heads on the rub rail and dash trim. And also on the copper and brass nail heads on the deck. The screws that were left exposed on the varnished areas were slightly countersunk and not filled. It would be impossible to keep the slots in the screw heads free of varnish. I think you would also get a better seal by brushing over the screws than trying to prefinish before installing the pieces of wood.

Brad
Brad K
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

tcvc,

After using your filler stain take a soft bristled tooth brush and buff out the filler from the screw heads and slots. The soft bristles of the tooth brush should not cause a problem wiping to much filler away from the surrounding area.

Good Luck,

Phill