Stem Removal Advice 59 Peshtigo SeaCoaster 473

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

59Thompson

Stem Removal Advice 59 Peshtigo SeaCoaster 473

Post by 59Thompson »

So far, working from under the full bunk trailer, I dropped the keel rollers and have pulled the wooden keel, found no rot, scraped it, scraped the garboards joint and reinstalled with LifeCalk and 16 frearson head silicon bronze screws 12 x 2" and 1 silicon bronze carriage bolt 1/4"x 20 x 3", washer and nut. To make the bolt, get the 5" from Jamestown and cut off at 3" so there will be no hidden threads sawing on the keelson. The originals were brass, the screws were straight slotted and were filled in without bungs just compound like Marine Tex. All came out without a problem, but I believe new bronze will keep her right for the next caretaker. I will use Marine Tex to recover them. Topside, I've cleaned the limber holes out and once it is warm and dry here, plan to seal the inside with CPES before adding a garboard drain and varnishing the bilge. Thanks to JoeCB for drawings and details on his restoration and to all of you for inspiration to uncover that first screw. This is a good community for ideas and examples.

I will next remove, clean and reinstall the metal planing keel, and the rollers under that area again working from beneath the boat.

I am looking for experienced advice on removing the metal stem cover and the original outer stem, is it one or two piece? With the keel rollers all in place, the full length bunks and the two bow side lapstrake supports will it likely be adequately supported? What makes a good primer to seal the stem and keel once all is back in place? I will be getting the Kirby Lemonade yellow to match the original paint and have some for the aqua parallelogram mixed up locally. I have a floor to make, window gasketing to replace and some engine cleanup to do but she will be splashed this year. Regards, John B. Fowler
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

There is a steam bent outer stem and solid sawn, mechanicaly joined innner stem. Completely seperate pieces. Just like the keel, remove the metal stem band, sand the wood to find the puttied over screws, remove the screws and the stem should pop off. Do the same proceedure on the stem as you did on the keel.

Your support system sounds fine.

Hope to see you at the Thompson Antique & Classic Boat Rally 24-26 June 2011 at Marinette, WI.

Andreas
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

John,

Iif youhave not totally stripped all the varnish from the inside of the boat DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOt apply CPES. IIt will cause any existing paint or varnish to become a CRINKLE finish.

Only apply CPES to bare woods.

Good Luck,

Phill