1962 18ft thompson & 1962 75hp johnson super sea-horse e

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

59FLPAN

Post by 59FLPAN »

THANKS BILL, I DID BUY A VINTAGE GAS TANK FROM A EBAY SELLAR, HE CLAIMS THE INSIDE IS FREE AND CLEAR OF RUST AND GUM. I WILL MOST LIKELY RINSE HER OUT WITH FRESH GAS AND CHECK THE GAS LINE FOR ANY BUILDUP. I APPRECIATE YOUR FEEDBACK.

HAVE A GREAT DAY,
JEFF
jeffrey w. sanderson
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Welcome aboard!

Verify what boat you have. Don't pay much attention to the previous seller's memory or to any of the paperwork. All this is notorious for being inaccurate.

What company built the boat? and where? Give the company name completely and exactly as it appears on the boat (NOT paperwork). This is very important.

Dimensions and seating/deck details are necessary to determine the model.

Cortland built boats were made a bit differently than those made at Peshtigo.

You just need to measure your existing ribs to determine size of the new, replacment material.

Andreas
59FLPAN

Post by 59FLPAN »

ok andreas thank you, i know the boat was built in cortland N.Y., the hull serial # is 13978, the outboard is the original also, johnson electramatic super sea-horse 75hp, the front bow decking is plywood, the floor is a green masonite product, there is a rear bench seat and a front bench seat as well, the horn is mounted in the center bow area, i am having trouble with photos at the moment, hope i can have a good idea what model i have, she is all of 18ft in lenght.

have a nice evening
jeff
jeffrey w. sanderson
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Yes, I understand that it was Cortland built. But what company built it? This is very important: Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. or Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc.

Accurate centerline and gunwale length dimensions are necessary along with maximum beam (width) and transom width to determine model.

In 1961 and 1962, Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc. did not have an 18 ft. boat. The Off-Shore was 19'-0" centerline and the Sea Lancer was 17'-2" centerline.

Andreas
59FLPAN

Post by 59FLPAN »

HI EVERYONE, I AM WONDERING ABOUT THE BILGE PUMPS IF THEY WERE USED BACK IN THE ERA OF 1962? I DID NOTICE A BRASS SCREW PLUG TOWARDS THE TRANSOM ON THE STARBOARD SIDE OF THE BILGE AREA, WAS THIS THE ONLY MEANS OF KEEPING HER DRY?

THANKS MUCH
JEFF
jeffrey w. sanderson
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

1955 Thompson Offshore. 3rd owner and there was no bilge pump.
Even though I will not be keeping the boat in the water I will be installing at least one in the aft section of the boat.
For this era of a boat it would be an aftermarket item I believe.
Cheap insurance.
Karl.
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

My '59 Sea Lancer has a drain that goes through the bottom of the boat near the transom. On the outside it is cup shaped with an opening towards the back. Inside it is a brass plug that screws in. Just for convenience I have a bilge pump mounted to a 3-4 inch square piece of aluminum to keep it upright and in place without attaching it to the hull. I ran the tube into the motor well to keep it out of sight. With the tanks back there it is hard to get to the plug, so this makes it alot easier.
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
59FLPAN

Post by 59FLPAN »

HI EVRYONE, LOOKING FOR SUM INFO ON LAPSTRAKE CONSTRUCTION AND TYPE OF WOOD USED TO MAKE THESE, DID THOMPSON BOAT COMPANY IN CORTLAND N.Y. USE THE SAME LUMBER AS THE BOATS THAT WERE BUILT IN PESHTIGO, WISCONSIN? WHERE CAN I FIND SCREWS FOR INSTALLING THE WOOD LAPSTRAKES? ALSO NEED SCREWS TO HOLD THE THOMPSON EMBLEMS IN PLACE.

THANKS MUCH
JEFF
1962 THOMPSON
jeffrey w. sanderson
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Turms the CAPS off.

Construction of Cortland built boats was similar to those made at Peshtigo. Planking of the 1950s and 1960s lapstrake boats is Douglas fir marine plywood. Philippine mahogany plywood was used for stained and varnished components. Solid Philippine mahogany lumber is used as well.

White oak is used for ribs, keel, keelson, stringers, stem and other structural components. make sure it's all heartwood.

The brochures for Cortland are contained on the Thompson Boat CD-ROM that can be obtained at www.wcha.org and www.dragonflycanoe.com

Fasteners can be obtained at places such as Southern Crown Boatworks, Jamestwon Distributors, www.boltdepot.com, Classic Boat Connection, etc... Use silicon bronze. Stainless steel for installing hardware. Not sure if Corltand used slotted screws in the 1960s. Peshtigo did, not phillips head. Pay attention to the originals and replace with similar.

Andreas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Jeff,
I've a Cortand built boat as well and they are put together differently than the WI boats, at least mine and all the others I have seen are. The frames (ribs) are three or so feet longer than usual construction because they run from the sheer under the keelson to the sister keelson on the other side, vs. stopping at the keelson. So be sure to measure the longest of the actual frame, and then get stock that is at least a foot or so longer than that.

Also - when I was at the Wooden Boat show in Mystic CT one year, they demonstrated the best way to produce frames out of planks. It not by sawing the plank, but rather splitting it. The split will follow the grain and you will end up with virtually no grain "run out". The less run out the less likely the frame will split when bending, especially on the very tight bends at the back of the boat.

I would love to see pictures, especially as you get into the work as I hope to some day do the same.

Pete
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
59FLPAN

1961 19ft thompson offshore

Post by 59FLPAN »

thanks pete for your valuable info, i am with my boat today and did notice the ribs appear to be longer than i thought, i was not sure if they ran gunwale to gunwale, so you are saying that they are staggered in a sense? really need to determine the correct lenght for all ribs from the seating area to the transom, as they all will need to be replaced as far as i can tell, plus the stringers and other framing as well.
lets keep in touch
thanks again
jefF
1961 19FT CORTLAND BUILT OFFSHORE
jeffrey w. sanderson
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

I'll drop a bunch of pictures of my boat into your new thread
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
59FLPAN

1961 19ft thompson offshore

Post by 59FLPAN »

that would be great, thank you peter

jeff

1961 19ft cortland built offshore
jeffrey w. sanderson