Mounting Splash Rails and Bimini Top Frames

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Ken Butti

Mounting Splash Rails and Bimini Top Frames

Post by Ken Butti »

Hi, folks! I haven't posted for a while, but the weather is starting to improve, and I'm getting ready to finish up some things on my late-model Peshtigo-built Sea Lancer.

First thing I need assistance with is how the splash rails were mounted, both the location on the gunwale covering boards (inside, outside?) and orientation. My boat came with new gunwale covering boards, and the splash rails were in a box. I'm assuming that the button snaps for the bimini top were on the outside of the splash rails (maybe I'm wrong), but I can't tell from photos if the notch in the splash rails is forward or aft. My only guess is that a hold-down straps for the top go through the splash rail notch and the notch is oriented aft.

The other item is the frames for the top. I have two frames; a two-piece one with a diagonal piece, and a simple one-piece part. It looks like they are for an extended Bimini top, which would be great to have up here in the great Pacific Northwest. The frames came separate in a box also, and I can't determine how they were installed. I have various holes along the inside gunwales that were used, but I have no mounting hardware.

If anyone can send me advice and/or pics of these two installation, I would be most appreciative. Thanks.
Ken Butti
1969 Peshtigo-Built Sea Lancer
Lacey, WA
Ken Butti

Post by Ken Butti »

Well, I did some research of the Thompson Bros. brochures, and came to the following interesting conclusions (based on photos):

1) Not all Sea Lancers came with splash rails. Some brochures show them; some not.

2) Splash rails, like the sides of the windshield, are mounted in the center of the gunwale covering boards.

3) The snaps on the splash rails are definately oriented on the outside.

4) The "Bimini" top frame I have is actually for the "Camper Top," that extends all the way to the stern.

5) The top frames are mounted on top of the gunwale covering boards.

I love replying to my posts. :wink:

I still need to figure out how the "notch" on the splash rails are oriented, and wondered if there are any patterns or dimensions out there for the "Bimini" or "Camper Top." Thanks in advance.
Ken Butti
1969 Peshtigo-Built Sea Lancer
Lacey, WA
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Splash rails are on the outside of the hull attached to the lpastrake planking at the waterline. They run from the transom forward for about 6 feet.

The pieces of wood you are investigating are not the splash rails. I don't know what they are called.

Not sure what notches you are referencing.

Photos help. You have to upload them to something like photobucket or flicker and then cut and past them into the text of your inquiry.

It always helps folks to let us know what boat you're working upon; make, model year.

For a pattern for the canvas cover, you will have to find someone with the same make, model and year boat to see if they'd be willing to measure and photograph their top. Or go to an experienced marine upholstery shop. Most can fingure it out.

Andreas