Wooden Grady White Cabin Cruiser -1967?

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

live2boat

Wooden Grady White Cabin Cruiser -1967?

Post by live2boat »

Hoping to gain some info on this Grady. I have some pictures of it when we removed it from a garage that was built around it in the 1980s. The link for the pics is: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 1115957766

The main thing I would like to know is what kind of outdrive goes in a round 11" hole. I do have the original outdrive and engine but I am also contemplating putting a 305 chevy with a Mercruiser Alpha 1 Outdrive. Does anyone know if a Volvo Penta or OMC might be an easier adaptation?

I'm ready to start a restoration on a 22' Grady White Chesapeake Cuddy Cabin. She originally had the inboard/outboard which is currently out of the boat. The hull is in excellent condition and the main challenge I am facing is how to re-power it. I have a complete 305 cu. in. mercruiser with an Alpha 1 outdrive and all the controls. Unfortunately that engine needs a rebuild.

Any advice anyone has on how to retrofit the transom hole would be appreciated.

I do not know the year but it is just like the one pictured in the Grady White brochure.

The hull number I wrote down is F5 757. I didn't see a letter on the end but I will look again.

According to a 1964 price list I received from Grady White there were 2 chesapeake models (#222). The Runabout is listed at $2,350 while the cuddy was listed at $3,695

Mark
Portersville, PA
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Good grief! Did you have to rebuild the garage wall and door after the boat was extracted?

I have a GW price list dated January 1, 1967. Model 222-C the Chesapeake Cruiser was $3,895.00 (outboard). Stern drives from OMC, MerCruiser, Interceptor and Volvo were offered. I have no clue which one may have used a round transom hole.

I do not have a 1967 brochure. I do have one for 1966. It shows the same picture of the boat you have posted with the "Rebb N" name above the GW logo.

No one has been able to decipher the GW hull ID code. No clue if they used the same format as Thompson and Cruisers, etc... The present day Grady White Boats firm does not know what it means either.

Good luck!

Andreas
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

I would not use OMC. It's been over 10 yers since they stopped making them and parts are extremely expensive. I had to replace the lower unit on my wife's 4 winn's last summer and a good used unit was $1400.00 and I had a hard time finding it.
Mercusier are cheaper and eaisier to find parts for.
Karl.