Replacing frames

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

gaff

Replacing frames

Post by gaff »

I hope everyone had a great July 4th weekend.

I have got the stem issues taken care of and I am now working my way back replacing some bad frames on my cedar strip sport runabout.

Is it necessary to remove the whole frame if only one end is bad? I was considering a scarf joint to join new with existing to make as seamless a transition as possible. Some would be done at the keel but others a little closer to the bilge area. Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

Also I was going to completely remove the stringers to get better access. I was advised to not do that and to take the screws out as I go and run the new frames under the stringers. I was wondering if anyone has done it this way and how it worked out.

Thanks

Steve
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Scarfing is a perfectly acceptable method of repair/replacement.

I see no reason why stringers cannot be completely removed. Make sure you brace hull to retain correct shape prior to any removal.

Andreas
gaff

Post by gaff »

Thanks Andreas!
gaff

Post by gaff »

I have all the short frames replaced and will be replacing the long frames in my cedar strip runabout.

I came across some nice quarter sawn white oak sawn about 9 months ago.

The issue is the size and the best way to utilize the wood. It is not quite 5/4 x 8" wide.

To keep waste down as much as as possible I cut the 1-1/4" frame with out of the 8" width of the board and then resaw (Table saw with thin kerf blade) it for two 1/2" thick frames.

First try worked good but I am a little shy of 1/2" thick when all is said and done.

It may be a 1/16 off.

Structurally, is this going to be a problem?

Thanks

Steve
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Steve,

I do not think the thickness being 1/16" thinner will be a problem. I do not see this being a structural problem at all. We are talking about only 12.5% (approximately) less thickness. I am sure if one checked every rib on every boat Thompson ever made some would be 1/16" thinner or possibly even thinner.

Good Luck,

Phill
gaff

Post by gaff »

Phill

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the late response.

Steve