Stringer removal

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

gaff

Stringer removal

Post by gaff »

Well I took out the stringers of my cedar strip runabout to gt at the bad frames. Looks like they were attached with nails through the underside of the ends of the half frames and then held into place when the half frames were screwed to the hull.

To get the stringers off, I cut the nails. Now I am thinking ahead to how I will reattach the stringers after all the frames are replaced.

The only way that seems doable is to go through the hull (counter sunk)and through each full frame into the bottom of the stringer with a screw.

Any thoughts on doing it this way?

Thanks

Steve
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

I am not very familiar with the cedar strip boats but that is how I did it on my Thompson Off Shore.
Maybe someone else will weigh in here.
Karl.
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Steve,

What you stated would be the way to do it. Screw everthing thru the planking

At the factory a lot of the construction was nailed temporaily and then screwed together before the boat came off the mold. The stingers and keelson would have been placed in the mold then the ribs bent over the mold with the ribs being nailed to the keelson and stringers. When the cedar strip planking and garboards were added they would have been screwed into the ribs, keelson and stringers.

Good Luck,

Phill
gaff

Post by gaff »

Karl and Phill

Thanks for the replies. I thought was probably how it needed to go. Thanks for the confirmation.

Regards

Steve