1945 rowboat wood

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Thomas Mackin

1945 rowboat wood

Post by Thomas Mackin »

My rowboat is all stripped and ready to be rebuilt. It was one step out of the burn pile so the inside will be green and not varnish. Hopefully can save the redwood seats and the new seat rails, transom, and gunnels will be varnish along with the seats. Kiel and transom will be white oak but thinking of using white ash or stika spruce for the gunnels and seat rail? More bendable! Boat saveable because of a great fiberglass job. Thinking of white ash wested in thiner strips for a few rib repairs? What do you think? Also what is the best green to match the Thompson Sea Green?
Big Mac
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I would not recommend use of ash. It has no decay resistance. I believe sitka spruce is moderately decay resistant.

"Bottle Green" by George Kirby, Jr. Paint Co. of New Bedford, Mass is a great deep green. I used it on a canvas covered Take-Along a few years ago. The can of vintage "Thompson Green" that I have is almost a sage green, maybe a bit darker. I have no clue where that can of paint is hiding nor where the sample boards I made up might be located (due to the move).

If you contact Kirby, use the telephone, do NOT email. They answer the phone but do not reply to emails. Greta family owned operation that has been in business since the 1840s.

Andreas