1961 19FT CORTLAND OFFSHORE RIB AND FRAME REPLACEMENT

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

59FLPAN

Post by 59FLPAN »

hi all, i am with my 1961 19ft cortland built offshore model and have questions about the ribs and frame work, most of the ribs from the seat back to transom will need replacement, also the stringers have some rot and other support frame work also, do each of the ribs continue under the keelson and continue all the way to the gunwale? much of the floor frame work needs replacement also, i am not sure if the frame work is from factory, there are several attempted sistering of ribs that need to be removed. i will try and post some pics or i could email photos to a email address, easier for me this way.

thanks much for all advise
jeff
1961 19ft cortland built offshore
jeffrey w. sanderson
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Here you go Jeff - some pictures for you. First a couple of my favorite motivational shots.

Just before haul out from a day trip. Water was great that day and the waves on the Chesapeake were just right for bashing around in but nothing to threaten the old girl.

Here she's parked behind my Uncles house in Connecticut. All tied up for the night after running her up the river out to harbor at Watch Hill Road Island. Great beach day.

On to business: These pictures are from when I first brought the boat home, showing what appeared to be completely original framing

This shot is after I scraped off all the old varnish and dug out all the rot from the sister keelsons. Then treated everything with two and three coats of CPES (clear penetrating epoxy sealer).

I then repaired the sisters with Smiths Filler, which is excellent stuff, and then sistered them. I simply used straight grained, clear, pressure treated 1X4 pine for the sisters. After 4 years of wake and wave she's not shaken apart a bit. When (if) I rebuild it I'll use all clear air dried straight grained white oak and probably replace all the frames even if some are still "ok", replace the sisters of course, and probably part of the stem. The main keel, outer keel, and the piece between the main and outer keel all appear to be very solid.

Post some pics for us! You can also e-mail me at peterstransky@yahoo.com.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
59FLPAN

Post by 59FLPAN »

thank you very much peter, you have a nice boat, i will send you photos of my boat, hope it will compare to your original boat, there are some hodging on some ribs and possibly some frame work also, loved to here your thoughts.

talk again soon
have a great day
jeff
1961 19ft cortland built offshore
jeffrey w. sanderson
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Hey Jeff,
I got your pictures, but for some reason cant reply back via Yahoo, so ....
You definitely have a Cortland boat, and based on the pics she looks to be very restorable. You will indeed need to rebuild the framing. But the laps, deck, seats, splashwell etc, look good (granted, just from the pictures).

If you are having trouble posting the pics let me know and I can load some up for you.
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
59FLPAN

Post by 59FLPAN »

thanks for your opinion peter, i have a local source for white oak air dried, i am working with the sawmill, photos are tuff to do for sure, i could you some help with this.

have a great day
jeff
jeffrey w. sanderson
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Jeff,

Here is how to post pictures to the site. I found this under "frequintly asked questions" under the search tab.

How do I upload an image from my computer onto the internet?
To be able to post an image from your computer, it needs to upload onto the internet first. You cannot directly link to an image in your �My Pictures' file for example. To do this, you can go to your personal gallery in your public profile and upload an image (instructions are given in the Personal Information and Settings section). Alternatively, you can use external, private website to upload the image. Two popular example of these are Image Shack* and Photobucket*

Good Luck

Phill
thegammas

Post by thegammas »

Some teaser pics for Jeff

Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
thegammas

Post by thegammas »

So Jeff......hows it going?
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware