Transom replacement

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

gaff

Transom replacement

Post by gaff »

I will be replacing the transom assembly. It appears it had been replaced previously with plywood.

I spotted a 12' Thompson with a unique trimmed transom and was wondering if this was fairly standard. I like it and was considering something like this.

Any thoughts?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66652366@N02/6076079207/
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

gaff,

I was not able to view the photo. Website said photo was private and I was not authorized.

Phill
gaff

Post by gaff »

Phill

Sorry,

I think that link works now but here is another that hopefully will get you to the photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66652366@N02/6076994104/

Steve
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

gaff,

That Thompson looks like their "take-along" series. They were built lighter with cedar ribs and planking, red wood seats and spruce gunwales to cut down on weight. The take-along had a canvas covered hull and I believe thinner planking. The literature does not state what wood was used for the transom.

I would recommend staying with the heavier constructed tramson of the standard TVT line.

Good Luck,

Phill
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

That is a model 240 Take-Along in the photo. The transom looks like any other Take-Along transom. Philippine mahogany was utilized.

The thin piece of wood "trim" round the outer perimeter was so that the canvas could be pulled over the transom edges and stapled. The wood trim covered up this canvas and the staples.

Andreas
gaff

Post by gaff »

Phill & Andreas

Thanks for the reply.

I saw this same detail on a Tomahawk.

It makes sense that the trim would cover the canvas.

Thanks again

Steve