Storing Varnish

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

richnle

Storing Varnish

Post by richnle »

I am thinking of trying to store unused varnish in a clean wine bottle and use a wine bottle vaccum pump and stopper to try to get all the air out. Does this sound like a reasonable idea? Any better ones so I do not waste all the left over varnish after opening a can?
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

richnle,

I am not sure how great it would to use a wine bottle to store varnish. I just do not like storing things that run all over the place in a glass container when they break.

A couple things you could do:
#1 - Purchase some empty paint cans. They are available in pint,quart and gallon sizes from Jamestown Distributors and most likely availabe from a local paint store or hardware store.
#2 - Purchase a product call "BLOXYGEN" see the following website www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003463/9499/Bloxygen.aspx
The product comes nin a spray can and one sprays a short burst from the can into your paint or varnish can beofre sealing it up. The product displaces the oxygen and keeps the paint or varnish from skinning over.
I am sure it would also be available at most paint stores or they would be able to order it for you.

Weather you purchase new cans or just keep the varnish in the old can I think using the Bloxygen would be a good idea.

Good Luck,

Phill
richnle

Post by richnle »

Thank you Phil. I like the BLOXYGEN idea and will give it a try.

Rich
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

richnle,

One thing I like about purchasing empty pint or quart cans is that I can break down the paint or varnish into smaller containers and they take up less shelf space. Also I can thin out one can and mark it's cut on the can for future reference.

Good Luck,

Phill