Smith's CPES

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

gaff

Smith's CPES

Post by gaff »

Can anyone tell me how much CPES I will need to treat the 12' cedar strip boat I have? It is available in 2 pint kits as well as 2 quart kits and 2 gallon.

I am going to do both the inside and outside and likely the deck and transom.

I am not familiar with how far this stuff will go.

Thanks

Steve
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

It is the consistancy of water. So just think of how much water you can brush onto the wood and how much may be absorbed.

I imagine that the pint kit wouldn't go very far. The quart is probably OK for your 12 foot boat.

Andreas
gaff

Post by gaff »

Thanks Andreas.

I have heard this is the product to use. Are there any other options to consider?

Thanks again.

Steve
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

I treated the bilge of my 18 foot sea lancer with two heavy coats on the garboard panels, first two strakes, frames to the first two strakes, keelson, sister keelsons, and stem. She was clean and dry with very little varnish left.

I used a little more than a gallon total (half a gallon each of the two parts) to do the job.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
gaff

Post by gaff »

Peter

Thanks for the reply. I think I will start with the 2 pint kit and see how far I get.

Thanks again.

Steve
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

I would get at least the 2 qt kit... even if you have a little left over, you can use it elsewhere... I have used it to firm up punky wood on deck boards (deck off house), cedar swing seats, and bird feeders. I have also used it as a primer before varnishing window frames and repairing the underside of cars. When I did the cars, I wanted it to flow into all the cracks/pits before I put fiberglass & resin over holes.... (By the way, I used Smith's Laminating and Layup epoxy for that, which worked much better than polyester based bondo-type patching materials.)

I doubt you will have any left over anyway, you want to use it liberally... (mix as you go, and wear a respirator and use a fan(s))... I have a cheapo set of measuring spoons and cups to mix the right batch size.

If you think you have a lot of open seams, you may want to put plastic tape on the underside to keep from having it run all out.

John.
gaff

Post by gaff »

Thanks for the tips John.

I am going for the 2 qt kit. I am sure I will use it on other things if I have some left over..

Thanks again

Steve
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Yeah oh yeah you need a GOOD respirator with VAPOR (not just dust) filters. imperative.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware