Varnishing the interior

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

gaff

Varnishing the interior

Post by gaff »

I am still a ways from the finish work on my cedar strip boat but I have been thinking about when I will have to varnishing the interior.

I like the darker aged look as opposed to the new(er) stripped and re-varnished look.

I wanted to find a way to really make the cedar stand out and was thinking of using an amber or possibly a tinted shellac as a base or seal coat to enhance the grain and then put on the varnish.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Steve
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Steve,

Why not tint the varnish? You can cut the varnish with thinner so it will soak in and that cut varnish could be tinted.
The other would be to get a light stain and stain the wood the use the cut varnish over that.
Try some test pieces and see how it looks.
Also you can buy high grade marine varnishes which have more of the golden hue then others. Remember the wood will darken in time when exposed to the sun light and will the varnish.

Also think about staining the wood then using CPES on the raw wood. That would give you a good sealer and help to stop any possible rot in the future.

I am not sure about using shellac under a marine varnish being subject to possible water intrusion. I hav eused it on wood that was for inside use only but never for outside.

Good Luck,

Phill
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

If you use shellac first make sure that it is "dewaxed" shellac or you will have a problem with the varnish sticking to it. Also make sure that you aply a very thin coat as thick shellac has been know to easily peel away from the surface to which it has been applied.
There are marine grade varnish's that are amber in color to begin with and the more coats you apply the darker they become. You may be able to have the varnish tinted darker as well. I would do some test batches on some scrap wood first.
Karl.
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

p.s. Phil types faster than I do 8)
Karl.
gaff

Post by gaff »

Phill & Karl

Thanks for the replies.

If I use a stain or possibly a combination of terps, varnish and an aniline dye to enhance the cedar hull, let it dry and cure out, can I still apply CPES?

Steve
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

Steve.
You can stain and then use CPES.
Do not use CPES over varnish. It won't penetrate the wood and will most likely
lift the varnish.
Karl.
gaff

Post by gaff »

Thanks Karl.