1957 sea coaster

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

andre lafrance

1957 sea coaster

Post by andre lafrance »

if anyone, who cares to share, has a picture of a 1957 sea coaster deluxe (model 477 - dual cockpits, 15 foot, forward, mid, and aft decks, etc.), would you please contact me. i have yet to see one. it isn't on the cd or in any brochure that i have found. it is the boat i have, and i'd really like to see what one looks like. the boat i rescued came with only the king planks, modified seats, no dashboard, no windshield, and a lot of other rotted or missing items. a bonus would be if yours is entirely painted a dusty rose as mine once was. thanks so much. i can be reached at 269 832 4622.
p.s. i didn't know what other category to put this under :(
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

477 was the "Thomboy" version of the Sea Coaster. Here is a picture of the 1961 model year Thomboy. A bit different in details from the 1957 version:
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Andreas, Is that pic of the Thomboy from a circa 1961 publication? The reason I ask is that it has a rare bow light that I have been trying to date. The light is an Attwood, "Riveria Sea Flight" ... I have one on my tin boat, 1960 Lone Star Malibu. I guessed that it was period correct for the boat.
The Star Fleet Command "Enterprise" like wing pods are very fragile die cast and consequently not many of the lights survived.
Joe B
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Joe, That bow light is featured in my 1961 Attwood catalog. Since it says "new" I'd guess '61 was the first year for it.
Verne :)

[img][img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/ ... ad0001.jpg[/img]
[/img]
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Thanks Wguy, that's more info than I had ever seen on this item. I looked up the designer that's mentioned in the add ... looks to be a pretty proliferic fellow in the exotic auto business.

Count Alexis de Sakhnoffsky (1901–1964) was a Russian-American industrial designer, known principally for his Streamline-style automotive designs. Born in Moscow in 1901, Sakhnoffsky emigrated to Switzerland in 1919 and by the 1920s had become a well-known designer of European sports cars. He relocated to North America in 1929 and was employed by the Hayes Body Corporation where he did design work for several Hayes customers like Auburn, Cord, or American Austin automobiles. The 1929 Cord L-29 he designed for himself (and which was built at Hayes) won the Grand Prize at the 1929 Monaco Concours d'Elegance and the Grand Prix d'Honneur at the 1929 Beaulieu Concours. He went to Packard in the early 1930s, and later did work for White trucks, among others.

In the early 1950s Sakhnoffsky teamed up with Preston Tucker (After Tucker's tumultuous acquittal from an SEC trial over the Tucker '48) funded by investors from Brazil. They began initial designs to build a sports car called the Tucker Carioca. But Tucker's travels to Brazil were plagued by fatigue and upon his return to the United States he was diagnosed with lung cancer. Tucker died from pneumonia as a complication of lung cancer. The Tucker Carioca was never developed.

Sakhnoffsky also completed numerous other design projects, including bicycles, kitchen items, and furniture. He served as a technical editor for Esquire magazine from 1934 until the 1960s.

My appologies to Andre for side tracking his thread.... but much appreciate the info to which it lead

Joe B
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The Thomboy photo above is for the 1961 model year. It is a publicity photo for Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. of Peshtigo, WI.

Many boat hardware brochures etc...are available in the Glassic Library section of www.fiberglassics.com. This library is an unbelievably rich resource. It contains boat and outboard motor brochures plus trailer and hardware brochures and much more. Everyone should take a look at it and contribute materials if you have something not currently in the library.

Andreas
andre lafrance

Post by andre lafrance »

andreas, thank you for the picture. it, at least, gives me some idea of what the boat looked liked. maybe a '57 will show up yet...
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The 1957 brochure has the Sea Coaster pictured on page 4. I cannot tell if its the 473 or 475 version. A plan view of the 477 model is also shown.

The 475 is pictured in the 1958 brochure and it also has the plan view of the 477 on page 5.

The hull is the same on all three Sea Coaster models. The cockpit, seating and trim are the differences.

Andreas