Hull plank plywood

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

PeterZ

Hull plank plywood

Post by PeterZ »

All

Am I correct here? On my 65 offshore the planks below the shear strake seem to be Doug fir and the shear seems different, probably some form of Mahogany. The planking is 7/16 thick. Do I have the species correct? I will need to fix a plank or two or three and want things to look consistent from the inside.

What do you all do with the 'Swiss cheese' of holes where the transom connects. I am replacing transom. Do I reuse holes in planks, or fill them with epoxy and re-drill, or do I have to replace these plank ends? The later option seems drastic. I don't really want to shorten the boat by cutting the plank ends off, trying to keep things as original as possible.

Is deck plywood also some version of Mahogany as well? My is covered with vinyle, but may replace with finished plywood.

Peter
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Hull planking is Douglas fir/larch marine plywood. The upper most plank, the shearstrake, is Philippine mahogany faced plywood.

The decking that is covered in vinyl is most likely Douglas fir/larch plywood. It will not look good stained and varniehd. If you want stained and varnished deck (it was a factory option) replace the plywood with Meranti or Okume and stain and varnish it.

Not sure if epoxy will fix up all the Swiss cheese holes in the planking where the transom was removed. I have no experience with this issue.

Andreas