1961 19ft thompson offshore

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

59FLPAN

Post by 59FLPAN »

hey all, hows everyone? looking for info on solid mahogany, phillippine is what thompson brothers use, i am told that honduras and african mahogany are better and true mahogany, am i right? why didn't thompson brothers use african and or honduras?
jeffrey w. sanderson
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

Some body could and I am sure probably already has written a 100 page Thesis on Mahogany :lol:
What you need to do is to look at the species to determine what is or is not true Mahogany.
Mahogany can come from many different world locations and is called many different names depending on where it comes from but the species is what counts
The name Phillipine seems to have become a catch all for the wood that was used to build any and all vintage wooden boats. Records indicate that many of the pre war Chris Crafts were built of mahogany harvested in the US.
Many of the locations worldwide that were used to supply this wood are now either totaly deforrested or on the endangered list and are no longer being allowed into this country.
As to which one is better or the true mahogany usualy depends on who you are talking to. To my eye each one does have it's own look.
Some time when you have a day to spend google Phillipine mahogany and settle in for a long read 8)
Karl (on a cold snowy morning here in Northern Michigan)
59FLPAN

Post by 59FLPAN »

thank you, i have searched the web, i see carribean mahogany has been overharvested, sounds like hunduras is what i will look for when needed.

jeff
jeffrey w. sanderson
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Many of the boat builders utilized Philippine mahogany. And you are correct, this is not a "true" mahogany. But it is what was used for hundreds of years for boat building. If I am not mistaken, it was Chris-Craft Corp. that coined the term "Philipine mahogany" to market their boat building material.

Andreas