Fabricating new shearstrake trim

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

a j r

Fabricating new shearstrake trim

Post by a j r »

I had to replace the half-round mahogany trim on the 1959 Peshtigo Sea Lancer I am restoring. This is the piece that goes on the low end of the stained and varnished upper most plank. It covers all the screws and nails and also is a decorative piece.

First off I looked for something similar here in Minneapolis. Can't find it in mahogany but I can get it in pine. I decided to try to make some myslef. I am very happy with what I created! It worked wonderfully and was fairly simple.

All you need is a router with a rounding over bit and a table saw. Here's what I did.

I used 3/4 inch philippean mahogany lumber. One edge was straight. I used a 1/2 inch rounding over bit with ball bearing guide. I routed one side and then flipped the board over and did the other side. This created a nice half-round. A quick once over with some sand paper smoothed her out. I then ran this thru my table saw, slicing off a 5/16 inch thick piece. This matched the original perfectly.

I used 9 ft. long lumber and needed a piece 17 ft. long for each side of the boat. I glued two pieces together with a scarf joint to create the full length. Since there is a compound curve to this piece from about the windshield to the bow, I had to steam bend it to make it fit. I steamed about 6 ft. of the length for 20 minutes. It bent easily and fit well.

I used brass escuthon pins to attach it and some counter sunk screws near the bow as was done originally. I also put a screw in near the stern.

I stained it to match the shearstrake and am about to put on the first coat of varnish.

I am very happy with the results!

Remember those safetly glasses and hearing protection!

Andreas