Windshield Glass Retainers

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Dan Robbins

Windshield Glass Retainers

Post by Dan Robbins »

Folks,

I have what is probably a '57 or 58 Thompson at 15' 7" that I am rebuilding from a derelict. I contacted Andreas Rhude in late 2010 learned that there are many variations in style and some customization based on earlier repairs/refits and boats delivered to dealers incomplete, i.e. no windshilds so the dealers may have made them. There is my issue. I have nicely rounded though retangular windshields with an aluminum retainer shaped to the routed frame for the glass. This retainer is ~1/4" square and held in place with what seemed to be both brass and copper escutcheon pins--a poor choice of metals for contact. Lots of corrosion, though I have gotten all apart for refinishing without breaking the glass or the aluminum. Given the small cross section of the aluminum, and available material for pins, what other fastener might somone suggest? Thanks, Dan Robbins
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

My '57 Peshtigo built Sea Lancer has the aluminum window retainers and I am fairly certain that the nails are brass or maybe copper. I don't think they are alumnum.

No corrosion or problems whatso ever on my boat.

Andreas