what is it?

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

andre lafrance

what is it?

Post by andre lafrance »

off to the lumber yard tomorrow and one of the items i'd like to have made (well, the lumber to make it) is the piece of wood that runs along the bottom of the shearstrake from stem to stern. at least i think it does since mine are broken. BUT from the part of the shearstrake i do have it looks like that piece belongs there. i'm sure it has a name. HELP. THANKS.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The little half round trim that is mahogany stained and varnished? At the lower edge of the stained and varnished shearstrake plank? And yes it is the full length of the boat.

I'd call it half round trim.

I made new stuff with a 3/4 inch thick piece of Philippine Mahogany, table saw and router. I think I had a 1/2 inch round over bit in the router. Routed one side of board edge. Flipped it over and did the other side to create a nice half round. Sliced it off on the table saw. Scarf glued the ends to make one long piece. Used brass escutheon nails to attach, just like the original. One tiny screw at each end just like the original.

Andreas
andre lafrance

Post by andre lafrance »

thanks again. seems as if that is what i say a lot, but i mean it. you, and others, have been a tremendous help in - hopefully - getting this boat back in the water some day...