Windshield 1959 Sea Lancer

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

EDsBoat

Windshield 1959 Sea Lancer

Post by EDsBoat »

I need new glass for Starboard side. No one in Central Florida want's to touch. Any suggestions? How do you take the aluminum frame apart?
Also side glass gaskets?
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

On a Peshtigo built Thompson, the aluminum frame at the front is screwed to the top wooden rail from underneath. You completely loosen the thumb screws that open the window. Open the window as far as it will go. When you open it enuff, you will see the screws from the underside. A bugger to hold the frame/glass open and unscrew. A second set of hands is helpful.

If she is a Cortland built boat, I don't know the details of the window construction, so I can't offer any assistance.

I would think any auto glass place would install new glass.

Go to the ads section of this site and you will find a source for vinyl window retainer. Also available from Tom Koroknay aka Dr. Lyman and probably from Wefco Rubber.

Andreas
EDsBoat

Post by EDsBoat »

What I need to know is how to take the glass out of the frame. No one will touch it. If I can get the glass out I can get a piece cut. How do you take the glass out?
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Study it??? I don't have any Thompson of Peshtigo boats here with the aluminum window frame. So I can't look at one and give recommondations.

Andreas
PeterZ

Re: Windshield 1959 Sea Lancer

Post by PeterZ »

I am in the same boat, pun intended I guess. I have a 65 offshore with a crack in the glass in the aluminum frame. I too am wondering how to get it out. I will take to some local glass places and see what they say.

Regards
Peter
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

I don't have a windshield like this but here are some suggestions for what they are worth.
Check every inch of the surrounding frame for any possible screws that may hold the frame together.Usualy at the corners but you never know.
If nothing can be found,
I would then lay the frame down on a flat surface and try to "knock it apart" using a wooden block. It is possible that the frame is held together
with clips that are hidden in the frame channel. Just like some storm windows. Or as strange as this may sound the glass it self might be what holds the frame together
via the material that is put into the glass channel much like older cars used.
Good luck and what ever you find please post it so that the mystery an be solved for others.
Karl.
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

As long as the glass doesn't have a weatherstrip around it, assume that the frame was assembled around the glass. As Karl said, look for evidence of screws at the corners. IF you find little round spots that are different colors than the rest of the frame, that's where the screws are. Dig out whatever is there to get to the screws, then take it apart. If no areas are visible where there might be screws, then the frame may have been knocked together with dowels, in which case, you need to knock the frame apart. If that's the case, I'd suggest breaking away the rest of the glass so you can get a straight shot at knocking it apart in line with the dowels. You don't want to risk hitting it at an angle and breaking the dowels.
If the dowels were glued in.....................well........................figure on a LOT of woodwork.

Verne :wink:
Dan Salins

Post by Dan Salins »

Verne - I think what you're describing is when the glass is surrounded by a wood frame. EdsBoat's glass - and mine, on my '62 SeaLancer - is surrounded by an aluminum frame. I had the same dilemna when I restored mine. I couldn't figure out how to disassemble the frame and get out the glass. Fortunately my glass was in good shape, and the frame was only slightly oxidized so I just decided to live with it. I suspect that the aluminum frame is held together in a fashion similar to how metal picture frames are. There's a channel in the frame into which an 'L' shaped corner piece slides, which holds the mitered side pieces together. I think one could tap the corner apart, as Karl suggested, but I wasn't willing to try, not knowing exactly how it was held together. I didn't want to risk destroying the frame if my hunch was wrong. EdsBoat, if you don't want to risk it, you could take it to a window and door shop who might know the answer. Good luck, and let us know. It's been something I've always wondered about.
Dan
Sheil Kottkamp

Post by Sheil Kottkamp »

This is to Peterz, I have a mid-1960's Thompson Offshore windshield, all four pieces of glass, (and wood frames), two front pieces still in their aluminum frames, no chips or cracks. Let me know if you are interested, I live in the Chicago area and given their size and fragil nature, pick-up would be preferred. My e-mail is speedifour@sbcglobal.net.
Rookie
EDsBoat

Post by EDsBoat »

Well here we go. After a year of going to restoration shops and many glass shops I took a mallet and block of wood to try and take apart the frame. Now I need a windshield. Right side ( Starboard ) aluminum frame swing out. 1959 Thompson Sea Lancer. Peshtigo built boat. edsboat@aol.com send pictures and price.
Dan Salins

Post by Dan Salins »

So the aluminum frame was destroyed when you tried to knock it apart? How was it held together at the corners?
Dan
EDsBoat

Post by EDsBoat »

Pins and a rubber seal. Just cannot get it to stay together tight. Tried new pins. Even a dab of epoxy. Won't stay together correctly.
EDsBoat

Post by EDsBoat »

Is the windshield on the 1960 Sea Coaster the same as the 1959 Sea Lancer? Aluminum swing out.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I doubt it. The boats were different widths.

Andreas
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

EDsBoat wrote:Is the windshield on the 1960 Sea Coaster the same as the 1959 Sea Lancer? Aluminum swing out.
Nope. I have a 1960 Sea Coaster and the windshield frame is all wood. Non fold-out. A fold-out might have been an option? dunno.

Verne

PS: Ed, did you go to the Mt Dora boat show? How about some photos?