Air horn

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Darryl Siss

Air horn

Post by Darryl Siss »

I have dual air horn on wood boat I am restoring - just the horn, no compressor. Bought largest 12v compressor from Wolo - 24 psi and does not work. Had hooked horn up to air compressor at shop and did blow at undetermined psi. Wolo told me that if that is case need big compressor which costs about $400. Cannot believe that this boat ever had that big of a compressor for air horn - it is only 16 feet. Only marking on horn is "Titan" I have done google search for titan air horn with no results. It is a nice old horn and would like to use rather than getting new. Any ideas?
Bill Dunn

Re: Air horn

Post by Bill Dunn »

I have a dual Spartan air horn on my boat. My dad bought the horn probably in the early 60's. I have an air tank under the deck that I just refill with my compressor. I have up to 120 P.S.I. in the tank and it is VERY LOUD and a fill lasts for up to a season or more, depending on how much noise I want to make. The tank is one of those throw away freon tanks used for filling balloons and is about the size of a 20 lb LP tank. I used some brass fittings with an air valve like the ones on a tire. When more air is needed, I just crawl under the deck with the air hose and it only takes a few seconds to fill.
Using a tank you keep the pressure consistent and eliminates the lag time of a compressor building up pressure. It works great and impresses most people with the volume. Originally the horn was designed to work on freon until that was frowned upon because of that whole hole in the ozone thing!! I have been using it with air for over 30 years with no problems.
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
Darryl Siss

Post by Darryl Siss »

How do you have hooked up to control horn?
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

I have an electric solenoid as a switch. This is the one that has been on there from day one, so I am not sure where to get one. Maybe J C Whitney or someplace similar. Sorry I can't be more help.
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer