Transom leak

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Darryl Siss

Transom leak

Post by Darryl Siss »

Just replace transom and few lapstrakes on 16 foot Grady White. Seals all look tight but there is a pin hole leak. Not a lot and not enough to stop me from using - bilge never kicks on - but want to be tight. Since transom has inside wood and outside wood it is impossible to tell exactly where leak is coming from. Have sealed entire seam with Boatlife caulk and then with that spray stuff they advertise on TV. Better but still small leak. Any ideas as to product to seal? Do not want to take apart again!
LancerBoy

Re: Transom leak

Post by LancerBoy »

spray stuff on TV. what might that be?

does it stop leaking after a period of time after the wood is swelling up?

Andreas
Darryl Siss

Post by Darryl Siss »

No, still leaks a little. Had it in water (trailered in and out) all last year and hoped it would swell and stop but didnt. Cant remember name of stuff but its the commercial where they spray on gutters and even put sprayed screen door on bottom of rowboat and it supposedly doesnt leak. Actually think that stuff reduced the leak a little more than the caulk.
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

That stuff is just rubberized undercoating that you can buy in any auto parts store. (for 1/3 the price)
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Sounds like a really BAD idea for a boat.

Andreas
Dan Salins

Post by Dan Salins »

My experience has been that it's extremely difficult, if not impossible, to seal a leak from the inside. Whether it's a home foundation, a roof, or a boat, hydrostatic pressure is going to force the water to find it's way in. My suggestion would be to carefully examination all the seams and joints on the outside of the transom, find where the water is entering and then caulk/seal it up. It has to be coming in from somewhere, right? Just my two pesos.
Dan