Rust in metal gas can

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Dan Wolf

Rust in metal gas can

Post by Dan Wolf »

I have a great looking metal gas can that I was surprised to get from my uncle. I open it up and I see there is a lot of rust on the inside on the bottom. SO now I'm not surprised anymore. He tells me throw some rocks in it and shake them around. OK old school maybe, last resort possibly, but I'm thinking fuel filter clogged, middle of lake, phone call about rocks cleaning out a gas tank. So I'm not buying what he is selling. Can this be sand blasted or something. Its a solid tank and I sure like the look of the old ones. Any Ideas?
Sheil Kottkamp

Re: Rust in metal gas can

Post by Sheil Kottkamp »

These gas cans are a dime a dozen, can't save them all. I recommend scrapping it and looking for a better replacement.
Rookie
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

marbles or ball bearings, oven cleaner, ammonia water solution. I have heard all these methods work.

Andreas
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

It all depends on how badly you want to save it! Shake, rattle and roll with sharp cornered metal bits, nuts work good. Solution to use depends on type of "crud". If old stale gas varnish use caustic cleaner first, rinse rinse rinse. After most of the loose rust is remover finish with acid metal prep solution (from paint store/ Home Depot). Finally finish with a gas tank specific sloshing compound like "Red Coat" from auto parts store. Lot of work! is the tank that special ?
Joe B
59Thompson

Post by 59Thompson »

I restored a vintage Vespa motor scooter steel tank using a kit from Kreem Products. I used pennies and lead shot to shake in the stripped interior until I got no more loose rust out, then used the etching compound in the kit, lastly the lining liquid that gave sort of a white plasticized interior finish. 17 years and still looks fine. Eastwood, the auto restoration suppliers also have some kits as well. BTW I'm looking for nice exterior "Bosun" marked tank to go with my 62 Gale 40HP Sovereign motor should someone know of one.
stewfisch

Post by stewfisch »

In addition to or instead of the above mentioned abrasive components(ie: pennies, lead shot etc.) I can suggest 4 or 5 feet of fixture chain. It's readily available, inexpensive and can be reused many times for other projects. Hope this is helpful
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

All good ideas, I'm gonna give it a shot. Thanks