putting it back together

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

andre lafrance

putting it back together

Post by andre lafrance »

at a point where i'd like to start putting my '57 sea coaster deluxe (model 477) back together. the damaged planks have been replaced and are back on. the frames are all new and installed - except for number 8 to the stem. i'm waiting for my new stem. the boat is braced every two to three feet and holding its shape just fine. the garboards will be installed last. the only original deck bracing I have is the rear deck brace which is in good shape. mid deck and forward deck braces all have to be replaced due to damage, but there is enough to make patterns. QUESTION: can I start at the transom and work my way forward putting in the new braces? one more item: the boat had no decking whatsoever. right now that isn't a concern, BUT i'm just curious as to how it attaches at the outer edges. thanks for any help...
LancerBoy

Re: putting it back together

Post by LancerBoy »

Good job!

Can't see any reason for not starting deck framing at stern and working forward. Or vice versa for that matter.

Deck was probably originally tacked to framing with little nails. I'd go for some 3M 5200 adhesive and nails or screws or nails and screws.

Andreas
andre lafrance

Post by andre lafrance »

as always thanks andreas. by the way, I tried to get to the site you mentioned to see an actual '57 model 477, but it wouldn't let me. any chance of you or someone posting a picture of the boat. other than the diagram in a brochure, I've yet to see one. would really appreciate it. thanks.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

what site?
andre lafrance

Post by andre lafrance »

in a previous answer to one of my questions (may 25th 2012), you mentioned you had 15 1957 sea coasters in your database 2 of which were the model 477. for some reason I can't get there with my computer/limited skills, etc. and was just wondering if you could post an actual picture. if you can't, that's okay. I may see another 477 at a show somewhere. evidently, it is not a very popular model. thanks...
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

There is NO website with this information. It's data in a three ring binder on my desk. NO pictures. Just boat model, year, serial number and hull ID if known and owner's name if known.

Andreas
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I have three Sea Coaster 477 models in my database, Two from 1957 and one from 1956. I do NOT have you or your boat in my database.

If you contact me privately, I can provide you more information.

Andreas
thompsonboat@msn.com