Thompson Hull Logo location

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Torchie

Thompson Hull Logo location

Post by Torchie »

-18401103210D41A41E.png
-18401103210D41A41E.png (149.05 KiB) Viewed 6832 times
Ok gang.
Getting ready to put my Thompson script logo back on the 1955 Off Shore. Problem is when I got the boat they weren't
on the hull but on the garage floor under the boat. (lucky find for me). And in my zealessness I filled in the original holes.
I have looked at many pics and I have come to the conclusion that none of these boats have the script in the same spot. :D
I have seen them on the shear strake. Way forward of the transom on the first strake below the shear.
And some where in between way forward and way back towards the transom on the first strake below the shear.
Any input and measurements from the transom to the edge of the script would be appreciated. Otherwise I will just eyeball it .
Thanks as always.
Torchie.
p.s. Pic is of me when we went to get the boat. This is after about a half hour of clearing. I am holding one of the logos in my hand.
LancerBoy

Re: Thompson Hull Logo location

Post by LancerBoy »

I think Thompson was experimenting with the location for a short time period. They ended up settling on placing the chromed logo on the second plank down from the gunwale; on the first painted plank. About 13 inches from the transom. On the 1957 boats the logo is slanted - not parallel with the planking.

I do not think they look very good on the stained and varnished shearstrake. They stand out better on the painted wood. Altho my stained and varnished '55 Thomboy sure makes 'em look good!

Andreas
Torchie

Re: Thompson Hull Logo location

Post by Torchie »

Thanks Andreas.
I know that this one was on the first painted plank and it was parallel to the planks as I believe at the time I held it up to the holes for a look see.
When I go back out to the shop I will put my eyes on and see if I can spot any shadows of the original mounting holes.
Karl.