bottom repair and refinish

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

steve in texas

Re: bottom repair and refinish

Post by steve in texas »

Less than 300 phillips plank bolts left to pick and clean. Brother in law has built new keel, waiting on delivery of cpes, caulk, etc to repair bottom and replace withnew keel. Thanks Andreas for encouragement to clean and pick ALL bolts and screws. Plan to caulk, then tighten all plank bolts. I will sure feel better in the chop of the bay or lake.
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

I have spared everyone of my ignorance because I lost the ability to post from my phone...But, I have cut out and fixed the rotten place on the keelson. I have also cut and fit the two rib pieces, along with 2 strips of bottom ply to connect to the bottom of the center, high piece of the keelson. One rib piece is 9" and the other adjacent is 11". I have them all sanded and formed. At the scarf joint @ a 45, I have already started 2 brass screws to secure the joint along with Wests. I started to seal it last night, but it was too cold. I cannot believe the new bottom keel that my wife's brother in law created out of 1/4 sawed white oak stock. He also cut out the bad pieces on bottom. Every part of boat is already sanded down to the bare wood, except for windshield frame and seats. After this repair, I will cpes bottom, tighten all plank bolts (that have all been picked and cleaned of the white lead), then I will fill all of the holes...There must be at least 1300-1400! Then prime and paint bottom. Lastly, the varnish. I must tell about Fine Lumber in Austin, TX. They have ANY kind of wood and the kind I needed. They were very helpful to a woody idiot.
As you can tell, I am faced with a very steep learning curve.
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

The gammas (peter) has kept me motivated and on task. Since we were in early spring, i snugged all screws and bolts. Then, coated with cpes. After week cure, i filled all holes with rage gold since it was well above 50 deg. I spent 3-4 days sanding and refilling. Then, got the toybox semi- clean and rolled on half gallon of awlgrip white epoxy primer. Soaked it up! Have block sanded with 180 and plan on another coat of primer...next if not happy, plan on spraying some shade of white acrylic enamel until i get finish sought. As it is now, so sore can barely move...
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

Yesterday morning applied 2nd coat of primer. Happy with the coverage this round! Later in week plan on blocking with 320 grit and seeing how that goes...still leaning toward acrylic enamel, spraying it on.
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

2nd coat scuffed & sanded, hopefully spring will reappear Friday and can spray top coat...
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

Top coat sprayed friday. Saturday wet sanded keel, garboards, and port planks with 1500 grit. Had to quit, too sore! This am will build fire in heater and finish sanding...let the buffing begin. When finished will get the gammas to post pics, as i am not there yet.
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

Used 3M #1 rubbing compound, still need to finish with 3M #2 polish to get swirls out and have the big shine. Gave out, maybe tomorrow.
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Steve gave me the go-ahead to post some pictures of his progress on his behalf

Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Steve's making progress!!

Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

Friends came over and we got her flipped right side up. Placed on tires covered with carpet. Removed bow decking as I will replace. Never saw so many staples! Structure under decks looked great after 56 years. Whew.
thegammas

Post by thegammas »

Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

In taking break...i have sanded all ribs and scuffed planks between them. Deck is removed so i can reach down and get within last 3 planks from keelson. Near the bow, starting around 3 planks from the gunnel plank, i found F A or a few E A. stamped into planks? Does anyone know significance? Andreas? Thanks
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

Transom screws filled & sanded...mask and cover parts to be stained, then shoot the inside. More bricks in the wall.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

steve in texas wrote:In taking break...i have sanded all ribs and scuffed planks between them. Deck is removed so i can reach down and get within last 3 planks from keelson. Near the bow, starting around 3 planks from the gunnel plank, i found F A or a few E A. stamped into planks? Does anyone know significance? Andreas? Thanks
I have seen similar numbers stamped into the plywood planking. I do not know their significance. But most likely it had something to do where particular planks were placed during the assembly of the boat. Parts were made ahead to time and grabbed off the shelve during assembled of the boat. They had shelves and bins full of parts for each model that they grabbed as a boat was being built.

Andreas
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

Thanks Andreas. Cannot imagine the organizational skills of those that kept the bins filled with parts! Plus to build them on an assembly line with the degree of craftsmanship evidenced by the one I am working on...Amazing