Page 1 of 1

My 64 sea coaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:42 pm
by Robert
I am finally beginning the process of fixing up my seacoast! The bottom is very hogged as well as the "cheeks" on either side of the fore foot were it sits on the small bow pads of the trailer.
I thought that I was going to have to replace the entire bottom. But when I finally got to taking things apart I found that the wood is in pretty good condition. Just one or 2 cracked ribs. Probably some rot were the 2 bottom panels join. And, the side covering boards are all intact with the vinyl in fine condition too. So I am not going to be butting in new steam bent ribs.
I plan to try and get the bottom to spring back as much as I can. And to reinforce the bottom with an egg crate structure that will also support the "floor".
I am going to start by rebuilding the transom which I am going to laminate together with some additional reinforcing.
Image
Image
Image

Re: My 64 seacoast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:19 am
by LancerBoy
welcome aboard!

best of luck in the hog removal.

Andreas

Re: My 64 seacoast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:50 pm
by Robert
I will also be rebuilding the wind shield
Image
Image
Image

Re: My 64 seacoast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:21 am
by steve in texas
Have fun! Great therepy.

Re: My 64 sea coaster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:16 pm
by Robert
I am finally getting to the restoration part!
On dismantling thing the transom there were a couple of surprises. the old adhesive was basically non existent. the parts came out with no problem, other than the finish nails, once the screws were removed.
[url][URL=http://s304.photobucket.com/user/acumalik/media/Thompson/20161009_135711_zps6pzaafuv.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

It appears that the transom was originally pinned together with bright finish nails.
[url][URL=http://s304.photobucket.com/user/acumalik/media/Thompson/41bbba5d-f9b8-4dca-9c3b-547494f5dc10_zpsmlv6nptu.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

which caused some damage to the wood.
[url][URL=http://s304.photobucket.com/user/acumalik/media/Thompson/20161009_123737_zps6koconii.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

also there was fungal / mold growth between the layers.
[url][URL=http://s304.photobucket.com/user/acumalik/media/Thompson/20161009_123755_zpsldcxhttc.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

and dry rot.
[url][URL=http://s304.photobucket.com/user/acumalik/media/Thompson/20161016_122243_zpskjnl8tcg.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

I ground and gouged out as much of the dry rot as i could. Which wasn't so bad, and left me with much good wood. Then i epoxied the outer boards back in, and added a layer of 1/4 in ply.
[url][URL=http://s304.photobucket.com/user/acumalik/media/Thompson/20161023_095655_zpst5ocjk7s.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

I will finish gluing the inner layer next.
here it is.
[url][URL=http://s304.photobucket.com/user/acumalik/media/Thompson/20161105_164908_zpsajv8ru47.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Re: My 64 sea coaster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:27 am
by Robert
the cheeks of my my boat have also sunk in from time on the trailer. about 3/8 in on the port side.
[url][URL=http://s304.photobucket.com/user/acumalik/media/Thompson/1466021366156_zpsn7zvggwn.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s304.photobucket.com/user/acumalik/media/Thompson/20161105_163933_zpsh6v1k10x.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

i am going to try pressure applied over time. as i know i wont be getting to this work until next spring at the earliest, i have bolted a board on inside and outside to pull it back close to the original shape.
[url][URL=http://s304.photobucket.com/user/acumalik/media/Thompson/20161105_164152_zpscv4idqxl.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s304.photobucket.com/user/acumalik/media/Thompson/20161105_164138_zpsm4b6afwr.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

it looks to me that the 2 sides of the bottom are not of equal angle. the stb is slightly flatter than pt. i don't have a photo that shows this yet, but in the bows, about where the fore deck ends, it looks like the difference is about 1/4 inch higher from the horizontal baseline on the port side. could this be due to sitting on the trailer for years? i would have thought that these where built over sturdy jigs. but then there is another fellow on this site who's bow is very wacked.

Re: My 64 sea coaster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:03 pm
by Robert
I have removed the keelson. The wood of the bottom panels is not too Bad. I did remove the forefoot timbers as well.
[url][URL=http://s304.photobucket.com/user/acumalik/media/20170416_151437_zpswbgfrmqw.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[urlImage[/url]

The keelson is well hogged, at least 3/8 inch

[url][URL=http://s304.photobucket.com/user/acumalik/media/20170416_151801_zpsagwh2jco.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

[url][URL=http://s304.photobucket.com/user/acumalik/media/20170416_151931_zps25jauqxh.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

[url][url][URL=http://s304.photobucket.com/user/acumalik/media/20170416_152039_zpsget51ymd.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url][/url]

it is dificult to show how much in the photos