Sea coaster transom

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Robert

Sea coaster transom

Post by Robert »

Has anyone disassembled a sea coaster transom?
I need to and would like information on how they were put together.
Robert in Carrboro NC
1964 Peshtigo Sea Coaster
LancerBoy

Re: Sea coaster transom

Post by LancerBoy »

They are two layers of solid lumber nailed and screwed together. Probably some adhesive from the factory as well. But on the boats where I have disassembled a transom the adhesive was pretty much gone.

The outer layer of wood is horizontally oriented and the inner layer is vertically oriented. Fasteners go from the inner to the outer layers so you do not see them on the outside of the boat.

The transom will be fastened from the outside of the boat with long screws that go into the end grain of the keel and stringers. These are countersunk and plugged. The lapstrake planking is nailed and screwed into the edges of the transom.

Andreas
Robert

Post by Robert »

Thanks Andreas,
i had figured most of this. i'll be sure to remove the through screws into the stringers and keel.
Robert in Carrboro NC
andre lafrance

Post by andre lafrance »

just my two cents - the screws from the inner transom braces to the transom on my sea coaster were not countersunk making for easy removal. I'm 99.9% sure that is the way they came from the factory as the braces were original to the boat. also, on my boat the edge of the transom did not have an adhesive. the edge of the transom had what appeared to be a roofing material. I still have a piece of it. and although this has no bearing on what you are doing, the entire length of the keel had the same material. having said that, the outer stem did have adhesive and was a difficult to remove. good luck on your project!
Robert

Post by Robert »

Andre,
what are you meaning by " edge of the transom" and "roofing materiel"? does this mean that the transom is bedded to the planks with roofing tar?

also, the upper part has the vertical / horizontal layout, but at the bottom this seams to change. there is 2 pieces horizontal on the out portions of the inner layer, and then a third piece laying along the bottom on the inside?
Robert in Carrboro NC