rib replacement advice

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

rong

rib replacement advice

Post by rong »

I am restoring a 63 seacoaster and found that the ribs on starboard side near the transom are rotted where they meet the keel. I have found that 6-8 ribs have rot from the keel out only 4-5 inches. Is there a way that I can remove only the rotted sections, install new wood and retore original strength? The remaining ribs look like new. The problem stems from a lack of drainage to the port side drain. Is there a pass through in the keel? If so I cannot find one. Thanks
a j r

Post by a j r »

You can remove the existing bad wood and replace with new wood. Scarf in new pieces. Make certain all your joints are not in the same general area. You want to stagger them. use all heartwood white oak. Do NOT use sapwood and do NOT use red oak.

There should be a drain hole thru the keelson near the transom. It easily gets plugged up with goop. use a coat hanger or similar wire to clean it out. On the boat I am restoring right now, the previous owner very nicely caulked over it!

Andreas
john

Post by john »

I solved the port drain issue, by installing a second drain plug that matches the one on the starboard side.

Be sure to check the inner keel where the ribs tie in, that's where there may be hidden rot of the inner keel (keelsom).
rong

Post by rong »

thanks for the tips.
I do have what I believe to be some minor rot (If there is such a thing) on the keelsom. The Keelsom is sandwiched by two other boards from bow to stern. Forgive me for not knowing their name.
When I reach with a finger under the starboard side board I can push in 1/8" of rot on the keelsom. Can I soak this area with CPES or git-rot? I will be removing the side boards for a closer look at the inner keel.
john

Post by john »

Sorry, you probably have the same condition, I found. Look at www.aerialimaging.net/john to see some of my pictures. Don't know how to separate them from the rest of my boats.

Keelson probably needs to be replaced. JoeB also has an idea for keelson replacement, that is not as radical as mine.
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Rong, OK since John/TX commented I figured I had better chime in. The problem of rib end rot seems pretty common on Thompsons. This is due to the fact that the ribs terminate at the keelson ( inner keel) and are fastened to the sisters with both a screw and a nail. Also the rib end is mitered off with a short 45 degree cut to form a drain opening at the bottom ( limber hole). All this cutting and perferation leaves plenty of oppertunity for water interusion into the end grain of the rib. If you are lucky, the rot has only progressed up the rib end 4 - 5 inches. In this case a new rib end can be easily scarf spliced in as a repair. I did this repair along with replacement of the keelson, sisters and keel on my Sea Lancer with good success. I wrote up a description of the process and design which I would be happy to share. Rong, if you would like this info send me an e-mail ... fixerjo@sbcglobal.net
Joe B/ MI