Hooked Bottom

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

JoeCB

Hooked Bottom

Post by JoeCB »

Just to stir up a little discussion ... Straightening a hooked bottom always seems to be a hot topic. Short of tearing out the keel and stringers there have been suggestions to weigh down the inside of the hull or jack down from some overhead support. These methods seem severe to me as they would likley impose parting stresses to adjacent joints ( garboard to keel/transom ? ). Soo.. an idea for you folks to kick around. How bout' drilling a couple of holes through the hull and sandwiching the "hook" between a couple of steel beams using (say 1/2") bolts. I would think a couple of 3" square steel tubes would do the job. Better yet get the tubes pre-bent to over compensate for spring back in the hull. This method would localize the strain and put all stresses in equilibrium, minimizing the chance of opening adjacent joints. When all is done, remove the "iron" and plug the holes.
Well what do you think??
Joe :idea:
john

Post by john »

If it were only hooked, I believe you are on to something. Why not just install the metal permanently. The two stringers could also be straighten with the same method.

The chance of only having a hook are small without keelsom rot. In which case it needs to be replaced.