Flooring material

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Darrell Van Eck

Flooring material

Post by Darrell Van Eck »

Wanted to get some ideas on what material people have used to replace the flooring. What came out is like a pressed paper type of material. Some areas of the flooring were soft, so I would like to replace it. This is in a 1962 Sea Coaster.

Thanks
Darrell Van Eck
ecottrell

Post by ecottrell »

Darrell, I was not able to find the same type of masonite for my 58 sea lancer. I used marine mahog. plywood instead. (I added support below) It was a bit expensive but it looks great. I varnished it instead of paint. Not original but a pretty good substitute! Let me know if you would like to see a picture of the finished product. Ernie
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Darrell, My last seacamper had the floors planked with 3.5 inch mahogany, that came from old door jambs. We planned them and stained and varnished. They were beautiful but a lot of maintence. My 20' seacamper has plywood floors about 7/16 thich but they too are kind of soft or plyable I should say, I guess from age. My intention is to replace with 1/2 marine plywood and cover in a marine vinyl.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
a j r

Post by a j r »

Nope, you will not be able to find the tempered hardboard type of flooring.

I have a '59 Sea Lancer that I will start working on soon and the floor needs replacement. I will probably use 3/8" Douglas fir marine plywood and cover it with Nautolex vinyl. It will not be original but it is an appropriate material for a boat such as this.

I am not sure what year Thompson Bros. Boat started using Nautolex for their floor covering, but a '65 Sea Lancer I finished with recently had it.

Andreas
Darrell Van Eck

Post by Darrell Van Eck »

Thanks Andreas:

Yes I planned on using the nautolex covering. My main concern was such thin wood to be walking on in the rear of the boat. My boat has no back seats, so walking on it and using deck chairs is my concern. But I was also cocerned about using something thicker, added weight.

Thanks
Darrell Van Eck
a j r

Post by a j r »

The floooring on all the Peshtigo made lapstrake boats from the late 1950s and into 1960s was 3/8 inch thick tempered hardboard, as far as I know.

3/8 inch marine plywood will be just as strong if not stronger.
lagakos

nautolex

Post by lagakos »

Dear Andreas,
Do you recall which color nautolex you used? Were you happy with how it looks?

My original flooring is in good structural shape, and had been covered with an indoor-outdoor carpet by the original owner. I was planning on either apply the nautolex to the original floor, or to replace the original floor with marine plywood and then cover the plywood with the nautolex. Any suggestions?
thanks
Steve
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hi,

I have now used "Sandstone" Nautolex flooring on three boats that I have restored. I think it looks great. I cannot speak to its durability, since all boats have been sold. No compliants from the buyers, so I suppose they are fine with it.

I have purchased mine thru www.defender.com. I have used Nautolex adhesive and boy oh boy does it take a lot to cover the flooring.

I have covered new plywood and also covered old tempered hardboard (the oribginal flooring).

Andreas
lagakos

nautolex

Post by lagakos »

Thanks Andreas!!
jim hays

flooring

Post by jim hays »

Darrell; I just got done doing the very thing that Texcapdan said in this posting 1/2in marine ply with vinal looks great (did this to my Hewes when the ply started to come apart, finally got to let someone know what I did that worked out fine) Jim Hays
treys

Post by treys »

I am getting ready to replace the flooring in my boat with plywood and Nautolex Vinyl. Is it safe to assume that when the vinyl was installed wrapped the vinyl over the edges of each of the floor panels and then each panel is then screwed down? Did you treat the marine plywood with CPES first or is that just redundant? Did you need to reduce the size of the panels to make up for the thickness of the floor covering? Thanks all for your help.
jim hays

floor covering

Post by jim hays »

treys; this is what I did, cut the boards to fit, covered one side with the glue covered it with the vinyl rolled it down with one of the wifes rolling pins (making sure no air pockets) turned each section over and staped it to the back side. Did NOT CPES it. didnt fell it need it. I did trim the panel about the thickness of my skill saw blade. And yes it will be screwed down with stainless screws just like I did with my hewes craft alum boat. Hope this helps Jim Hays
a j r

Post by a j r »

The proceedures followed by Jim sound fine. The only difference is that I DID seal the plywood panels before applying the adhesive and vinyl. The Nautolex adhesive recommends a sealer on the wood first.

I also changed the panel sizes and made an access panel to the bilge and also one at the stern to access the drain plug, etc...

Andreas
treys

Post by treys »

Sounds great. Thanks

Trey