No drain plug????????????????????????

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

hoytheld

No drain plug????????????????????????

Post by hoytheld »

Recently aquired a 1962 Offshore in emaculant condition....has a Volvo engine and outdrive.

Here is my question,
What was Thompson's idea on getting out the water from the hull with no drain plugs? And...with the way the bottom of the hull is made...the last two lap board being so wide, the ribs lay flat against the hull and keep the water from flowing to the rear...near the transom. We have installed two through hull drains, one on each side of the keelson about 4" from the transom...but this does not get out all the water....What are you supposed to do?????????

Pop and I figured...since 1962 was a different time...and the boat would have been a big investment...the extra day or two of tearing up the floor and soaking the water out with a rag wouldn't have been a big deal...is this the case...or is there something we are missing??????
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hi and welcome to the Dockside.

Is this a boat made at Peshtigo WI by Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. or by Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc. at Cortland, NY?

The boats made at Peshtigo typically did have a transom drain, especially the big ones like the Off Shore model. On boats 1959 or earlier it was a thru hull drain in the bottom of the boat - called a Venturi drain.

As for water flow; in the bilge from bow to stern, there are limber holes alongside the keelson. The ends of the ribs actually are cut at an angle so that there is the ability for the water to move. There should also be a hole thru the keelson from one side to the other right in front of the transom. This allows the water to flow from one side to the other. This hole plus the limber holes get plugged up with gunk. Get a short stiff sire (coat hanger) and get 'em cleaned out.

I don't know if the Cortland, NY operation did the same type of thing on their boats.

Andreas
hoytheld

Post by hoytheld »

We kind of thought that as well...haven't poked around though...I will pass the word along

Thanks for the help!
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

My 65 20' seacamper did not have a transom drain but does have a thru the bottom drain ( a "venturi drain", thanks Andreas) about midship. I added a transom drain during restoration, but have yet seen any water out of it. When these boats are afloat the stem to keel cap area is the lowest point so no water should collect in rear until you take off. I am planning a rear bilge pump for that problem.
My transom is barely 4" deep at rest. Andreas is correct about keeping limber holes free and clear so that water can reach bilge pump or drain.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
hoytheld

Post by hoytheld »

Thanks for the help...so I assume they just thought that the bilge pump would do all the work....

Thanks
Jason