1962 Seacoaster renovation questions

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

pennelli

1962 Seacoaster renovation questions

Post by pennelli »

Hi,
I am just starting to plan restoration of a 16' 1962 Seacoaster I inherited from my father. It's actually in extremely good condition so I'll hopefully have it running this summer. I'm new at this so forgive me for the novice type questions.

1.) It has a 75HP Johnson on it that was never very reliable. We'll keep it for possible show purposes, but can we get away with a 50 or 60HP new engine? What size would be adequate?

2.) There is a little dry rot in the front keel area a boat restoration company told us about. They said it just needs some epoxy. Any product and procedural recommendation on how to do this?

3.) It would be nice to keep all the original parts intact, but if we use a new engine, is it possible to use the old tach or do we need to add a new tach? Obviously we'll need to substitute the new throttle for the old.

4.)We are concerned with the safety of the cable steering mechanism and would like advice about replacing it with a mechanical system. Again, can we leave the cables in place and just disconnected? How have people handled this?

Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated so we can get our project going. Thanks!

Karen
john

Post by john »

The old 75 can be replaced very easily with 40 to 60 hp newer outboard. The biggest problem is the mounting holes if you go back and forth with engines. The 75 should be very reliable, just thirsty with gas.

The old tack will probably not work with a newer engine.

I would keep the cable steering, it's is better in my opion than the newer cable. But most would disagree.

The small amount of keel rot is probably only the tip of the iceberg. Mine appeared the same way, but after trying to repair a small part I found the complete inner keel in bad shape and had to replace it.

Pictures of my 1960 16' Cruisers 202 can be seen at www.aerialimaging.net/john
ecottrell

Post by ecottrell »

Karen, I spent two years restoring my 58 sea lancer. I think it is important to complete the repairs RIGHT! That is more important than worrying about everything being "original." For example, I replaced the 1959 50 hp motor with a more reliable and efficient 1989 88hp. It was a great decision. The old motor was nothing but headaches! I did however keep all the old cables and fittings. Did you buy the boat to look at and to take to shows, or to use and enjoy with the family? Probably all the purists will rip me for this response but I think being practical and taking advantage of SOME new technology etc is a good thing. As for the rot you found, I agree with the last reply, it is probably only the tip of the iceberg. Check it out thoroughly and dig in. The repairs are not that bad and I actually found completing them to be very satisfying. Good Luck! Ernie
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Karen, I would pretty much agree w/ John's response... ( motor, tach AND ROT). From my perspective... I'm running a 57' Sea Lancer with a 1961 Evenrude 75 HP (basically same motor as your Johnson). These motors were/are very reliable, they are basic machines lacking the sophiscated electronics of newer motors. Mine has a straight forward 12volt automotive style ignition and a mechanical gear shift. About the only potential problem w/ this vintage Evinrude/Johnson was the electric gear shift introduced on some top of the line motors in 1962. In my opinion reliability is a function of maintenance... If you are handy with motors etc or have connections to someone that is - your 62' plus 62' would make a nice combination. If you do go /w the older motor suggest that you connect up with the Antique Outboard Club in your area (aomci.org)... they will be a big help.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Fix the rot properly by replacing the wood and fasteners. Forget about pouring goop on it. That is not a proper repair.

Keep the cable steering system. There's no reason to get rid of it. Replace the cables in your steering system as these do weaken with age.

Andreas