Tightening Bolts Before Launching?

Maintenance issues you will want to know.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

jdconnel

Tightening Bolts Before Launching?

Post by jdconnel »

Here’s the story to date. I bought my boat before winter, and have been staring at it in my garage since. Now that the weathers finally decent in WI, I can work on it!
The boats has been out of the water, for 7 years now from what I know.

I went over all the mechanicals, drained the 7 year old gas from the two MileMaster tanks (which were full) and replaced with fresh, cleaned the carb., check the gaps, dropped in a fresh battery, and changed the oils. Much to my enjoyment, it fired up and churned water in a bucket quite well. So my ’57 Javelin is happy.

Now, I was wondering if before I launch if I should tighten up the brass nuts at all?

I intend to set up a nice bilge in the back on a user friendly switch just to be safe, but I figure the more water I can keep out to begin with, the better.
The haul was restored I was told 15 years ago or so. I was also told it does get a bit of water in the back (which is why it came with a nice little battery hookup bilge).

Just dying to get this in the water…. Will post pics when I do.

Thanks,
James
'57 Double Cockpit Coaster
john

Post by john »

Best to replace waterpump impeller.
jdconnel

Post by jdconnel »

Looks like I have some research to do.
I don't even know where this part is, what it looks like, or where to get one for my '57.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Impeller is in the lower unit. It pushes water thru the engine to cool it. Vital part and easy to go bad. Should readily find one at any OMC dealer, maybe NAPA auto parts (ask for the marine catalog), try Kendor Marine on Ryan Road in Jefferson (South Milwaukee). Have the model number and serial number of the engine when searching. Look at www.aomci.org for old outboard stuff too.

Sure, tighten the nuts on the bolts. Can't hurt. Have you checked the keel yet? This is the most common place for leaks in lapstrake boats. Also look at the planking where it meets the transom. These fasteners can loosen over time.

Andreas
jdconnel

Post by jdconnel »

Excellent! Thanks!
Impeller is ordered, and I found the exploded diagram for my motor.
Looks like I have a plan for the weekend.

Anything else I should be concerned with I may have forgotten?
Hate to miss another $5 part and end up in a heap of trouble.

Also, Kendor Marine, in their own works "Doesn't carry anything related to the motor". So no go there. Any other parts places in Milwaukee anyone recommends?
a j r

Post by a j r »

Kendor is worth a visit in any event. Lots of boaty stuff - surplus and seconds... Fun to walk the aisles and see what they have on the shelves.

Most any boat/motor dealer can get outboard motor parts. Many auto stores also can get 'em, NAPA for one.

Andreas
Shaun E.

Post by Shaun E. »

The only place in your neck of the woods is R&R Fishing Hole. Its on Layton and Nicholson in Cudahay. They are the only BRP (new omc) dealer in the area. If you need any assistance with your motor send me a private message and I will give you a hand. Shaun
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Jim,

Here are a couple places in Milwaukee that handle parts for older OMC products.

Dolenskak's Marine 9215 W. Oaklahoma Ave. 414-541-4000
Engine Plade & Prop 3524 W National Ave. 414-671-0533
Thurow's Lawn & Marine S92 W27825 Hwy ES Mukwanago 262-363-7711

I received a listing of dealers that handle older OMC parts all over the United States and Canada (last revised 1/1/98) when I ordered a copy of the origianl owners manuals and repair manuals for my 1957 Evinrude 18 HP Fast Twin and 35 HP Big Twin from Ken Cook Co. in Milwaukee. (www.kencook.com)

Good Luck,
vernonfarmer

Post by vernonfarmer »

James,

Engine, Prop and Blade is your best bet. Phone number can be found in an earlier post.

Did you, by any chance, buy your boat from the storage place on Rawson Ave in Franklin? Saw a twin cockpit boat for sale there not long ago.

Also, take the time to cruise through Kendor on Ryan Rd. It's like an army surplus store for boats! You'll find lots of stuff you never knew you needed!