Best place for a wooden boat

Maintenance issues you will want to know.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

JALL

Best place for a wooden boat

Post by JALL »

During the summer months is a wooden boat better in the water or sitting on a trailer? Thanks Jim
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Jim,

I always like keeping my boats on the trailer and covered. I keep mine in inside storeage also.
Biggest problem with keeping a boat in the water is that if you have any cracks that leak, water will saturate the wood and can start breading rot in the wood. Especially with the heat and himidity we have had this summer even covered any water that gets into the wood is a problem in the long run.
If however you have a tight hull which has a nicely painted exterior and varnished interior without any leaks, keeping the boat in the water is OK with a good breathable tight fitting cover. You will want to be sure after every rain storm to check to be sure no water has gotten inside the boat and if it has sponge it out and mkae sure it is dry.

If you are on vacation somewhere for a week or so and the boat has to be left in the water. I do not see a problem as long as it is covered and no water sits in it for any length of time.
Wood and water do not work well together when one get inside the other. It can only cause problems in the future.

My own feeling is with boats like Thompsons with their thinner hull materials it is best to keep them high and dry when not in use. Weather this is on a trailer with a good fitting cover, covered boat lift at the pier or inside a boat house with good ventilation. Also good support under the boat hull is important in any of these situations.
Those are my thoughts.

Phill