stripping and sanding and chilling - OH MY!

Maintenance issues you will want to know.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

andre lafrance

stripping and sanding and chilling - OH MY!

Post by andre lafrance »

in the process of refurbishing the inside of my '57 sea coaster (i really don't mind the effort), i was just wondering what tools those of you who have done this use. at the moment, i'm using a chemical stripper followed by an odorless thinner to rinse (odorless because i'm in a garage, in michigan, and the weather is getting colder). then after the planks have thoroughly dried, i sand them - usually 50, 60, and 80 grit so far. getting around the brass nuts is a chore (not to mention challenge), but it is doable. any other suggestions would be helpful. also, because the boat sat for so long uncovered on the burnpile, the planks near the transom are much darker. just wondering if these can be lightened somehow - bleached? it'd be nice if they matched the other planks. there aren't that many that need attention. and i understand that there was some sort of floor in these boats, so if i can't get the dark planks near perfect, they probably won't show. once again, ANY help is much appreciated.
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

Use anything that works!
I have an assortment of different size and shaped scrapers, bronze brushes, sand paper, etc.
Quite possibly the most tedious part of the restoration. But one that shows the most.
Oxcilac acid works well for bleaching wood. Should take the darkness out.
Hope this helps.
Karl.
andre lafrance

Post by andre lafrance »

thanks karl. do you have any brand names for the acid? the hardware store wants to sell me deck cleaner.
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Andre,

If you ask for Oxcilac Acid they should have it in the paint department. The brand name does not make any difference. If they do not know what it is then go somewhere else like a paint store in your area.

Good Luck,

Phill
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

To expand on what Phil just said:
My hardware store carries Oxcilac acid in granular form. I add it to water to form a sort of slurry to apply to the wood. Let it sit a while and then rinse off and nutralise.
Deck cleaners contian this product but also other things a well. It is getting harder to find in the pure form.
As Phil has said try a paint store near you.
p.s. Just went out and checked my stash and the correct spelling is
Oxalic Acid. And the container says "wood bleach" on it.
Hope this helps.
Karl.
andre lafrance

Post by andre lafrance »

thank you guys so much. i found a 12 oz container made by savogran at the local sherman-williams store - does indeed say "wood bleach". i'm a few steps away from using it, BUT this will give me a chance to experiment...