done deal!

Maintenance issues you will want to know.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

andre lafrance

done deal!

Post by andre lafrance »

wow! the oxalic acid really made the 54 year old interior planking look just like brand new. where the old frames had gathered leaves, torn tarps, acorns, etc., the dark (read black) virtually disappeared. i neutralized the acid with alcohol and wiped it with a cloth. after they dried, the planks looked so much better. NOW what to do? the planks have been stripped, sanded with 80 grit, washed with acid, and rinsed. so what grit paper should i use now? i believe i read somewhere to continue with 100 grit and finishing with 150. i'd like a deep, rich color. i found a varathane stain called mission oak, but if it can't be used for boats, i'll have to find something similar for marine use. do the grits of 100 and 150 seem correct? once again, ANY help will be much appreciated. happy thanksgiving to one and all...
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

Andre,
Glad the Oxalic acid helped.
Unless you have some serious issues I would think that the 150 grit paper would be fine. Check the directions on your varnish can. They usually give some recomondations for prep sanding.
I know that you are interested in a dark rich look for your interior but be aware of the fact that to the best of my knowledge these boats did not use a stain on the interior planking. Just a clear varnish coat.
Have a great Thanksgiving as well.
Karl.
andre lafrance

Post by andre lafrance »

thank you, karl. a friend of mine said the same thing. NO STAIN...