1955 fiberglass Thompson

Have a question or comment about the origin of your boat or about the company? Disscuss it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

LancerBoy

1955 fiberglass Thompson

Post by LancerBoy »

Here's a one sided flyer showing the 1955 Thompson fiberglass boat. These were built for Thompson by Pla-Tank, Inc. of Springfield, Mass.

Has anyone ever seen one in real life, or heard of one?

Andreas

JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Wow, that's really early for a fiberglas boat, 1955. Never even heard of a glas Thompson that early. Andreas, did you just come across this ad? had you ever heard of this boat previously? Wonder if we have anyone in the Fiberclassic community with any knowledge?

Joe B
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I have know about this for several years. Thompson had 3 RFP models all based on the same hull. They are shown in the general 1955 brochure. They also had a 4 page flyer made on the glass boats plus this one above.

I just decided to scan some stuff that is not on the Thompson Bros. Boat CD-ROM.

I posted it all in the Classic Library area of www.fiberglassics.com

Thompson Boat dropped the glass boats soon after they appeared. They only were shown in the 1955 brochure. I suspect that the big fire of March 1955 at Peshtigo put a nix on the "new" product. They put all efforts into rebuilding the factory and concentrating on what they knew; wooden baots.

I have never seen one of these boats nor am I aware of any in existence.

Andreas