Need Help!

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

ken

Need Help!

Post by ken »

I am getting ready to restore a 1950 Thompson runabout, but I need the blueprints so I can replace the ribs.

Does anybody know where I can get the plans or blueprints to do the restoration properly.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

No such thing as blueprints or plans or drawings exist.

We are here to assist in any manner possible.

Step one is to attempt a proper identification. Do not pay much attention to paper work such as title, registration, bill of sale or the memory of a seller. These are all notorious for being inaccurate.

Go to the "What Do I Have?" section here and look at the questions and provide answers. Is this a wooden boat? If wooden, is it strip built or lapstrake or cedar/canvas? Is there a hull ID stamped into the wood of the transom inside the boat? Is there a rectangular metal builder's tag with manufacturer's name and location (and maybe serial number)? Is there an Outboard Boating Club metal tag with maximum HP and weight capacity ratings? What are the centerline and gunwale lengths? What is the width? What is the transom width?

Photos are very helpful.

Andreas
richnle

Post by richnle »

The good news is that you will not need any drawings to replace the ribs. Go to a lumber yard and buy heartwood white oak (not kiln dried), mill ribs (paying attention to the grain direction) to the same cross section as the ribs you are replacing, steam the ribs and install them. The hull serves as the form. There are some helpful posts and photos in this forum on the details of all the steps. I just finished my first rib replacement project and it went very well with the help of this forum. I am also happy to share whatever information that is helpful.