Wood Rot: Repair or Replace???

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Ken Butti

Wood Rot: Repair or Replace???

Post by Ken Butti »

I'm getting close to completing several R&R jobs on my late-model, Peshtigo-built Sea Lancer w/ I/O. I'm almost done with the mechanical work on the I/O unit, got back my rebuilt windshield, and have new lounge seats coming in this week! I'm starting to look at some of the hull work I might get to this winter. I have found a small, oval-shaped area of rot on my starboard garwood plank, about 12" forward from the transom. The spot is about 1 1/2" by 3". It seems to be limited to the first couple of layers of the plywood. I was thinking that I may be able to complete a good, sturdy repair of the plank, and avoid replacing it entirely. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ken Butti
1969 Peshtigo-Built Sea Lancer
Lacey, WA
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

ken,

As much as it sounds like a lot of work and is, I would recommend replacing with new plywood. You could scarf in a piece a couple feet long with new and be safe.

Problem beng if the rot is in the first couple layers of plywood you do not have that may left and who knows what shape the plys are in the rest of the plank. A break out here when under way would be a leak your bilge pump would keep up with.

Better safe then sorry. Those are my thoughts.

Good Luck,

Phill
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

It is possible to scarf a patch into the center of the garboard plank if you absolutely know for sure that the damage is limited to there.

I need to replace a good chunk of my garboard plank from it sitting incorrectly on a trailer for god knows how many years.
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

Sure. You can scarf in a piece to replace the bad part. That is the whole point of using a scarf repair method. But sometimes it is less work(Cutting out bad wood,cutting angle, cutting new replacement wood,dry fitting new wood, epoxing in the replacement piece, etc.) just to replace the whole plank.
In Ken's case he may just consider a "Dutch Plug" repair. My Thompson has at least two of these and they were done at the factory. Of course the boat was new and so was the wood.
Having said that. I agree with Phil in regards to the chance of there being more damage than meets the eye. In both cases I would replace the entire plank. The Garboard planks are the ones that take most of the abuse on the bottoms of these boats.
At this time my hull is still upside down in my garage. Replaced 17 ribs, have the keel off and the hull stripped in preparation for paint. Was inside the hull doing some work and lo and behold I found 1 more cracked rib. Away from the others and just hairline cracked. The end result being that I now know that I can replace a rib in a Thompson that is turned up side down with out flipping the boat over to do it. lol
Most time the "quick fix" is just that. The quickest, not the best.
Karl.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

replace the bad wood with new, sound wood.

Andreas
Darryl Siss

Post by Darryl Siss »

I am working on first wood boat project so that will explain this stupid question. What is the garwood you are referring to? I have a couple of rotted lapstrakes near the transom and am intending to replace - saw a great step by step explanation of how to do with pictures.
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

Not a stupid question at all.
The garboards are the two wide planks on either side of your keel on the bottom of the boat.
If you scroll back thru the restoration threads Andreas posted one on boat nomenclature. It will give you all the names of the different parts on your Thompson.
Have fun with your first restoration.
Karl