Does sketch illustrate curvature of inner keel?

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Woody

Does sketch illustrate curvature of inner keel?

Post by Woody »

Andreas has posted a sketch on my previous topic.
I'm not sure if he was implying that the inner keel has curvature toward the stem or not?
If you have time look at the sketch. Any feedback is appreciated.
Any others out there with knowledge of '65 Thomboy?

Picture of replacement inner keel board. Board is same width stem to stern as pictured. I have shaped this board to the original inner keel and it now lines up with frames pictured.

[img][img]http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/5361/keelsonremovalthompson0l.jpg[/img]
String pulled along original inner keel from transom to stem. String is touching keel until approx 24 inches from stem.

[img][img]http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/4163/thompsoninnerkeel0022.th.jpg[/img]
[/img][img][img]http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/8613/thompsoninnerkeel0012.th.jpg[/img]
[/img]
Original "cheek" (attached to side of inner keel- frames nailed and screwed to this piece.
[img][img]http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/5715/thompsoninnerkeel0072.th.jpg[/img]
[/img]
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I was not implying anything. I just provided a copy of a sketch created by Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. in late 1961 for the 1962 model year Sea Lancer 900.

Can you not just replicate the old pieces you are replacing? Or is the hull out of original shape or is the wood rotted away?

Andreas
Woody

Post by Woody »

The hull appeared to have good shape. I have replicated the keel. But the discussion on some of the posts has me thinking the keel was originally "straight" or flat from transom to stem.
I just want to do it right. If replicating the originals that have been removed is the best approach, then I am good.
Does anyone know the original process for installing the inner keel?
Is there a detailed discussion anywhere that outlines the process from beginning to end for the Thompson?
Larry
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Boats were framed upside down on a form/jig. Pre-made keelson and stringers and inner stem were placed into form. Ribs were steamed, bent, and nailed into keelson and stringers. Screws came later. Not sure if transom came next. Planking installed and screwed into ribs.

All the components were pre-made and pulled off a shelf and installed.

Somewhere along the line the boat was pulled off the form and then machine bolts installed connecting planking to adjacent piece. Maybe this is when transom was installed.

Boat flipped over and some of the interior framing was installed. Outer keel and stem installed. Boat flipped over again and painted. Once again she is flipped and deck and interior installed.....

Andreas
Woody

Post by Woody »

Great info Andreas. Looks like they may have planed the inner keel and stem after the frames were installed.
Where is the discussion on the proper terms for the boat components? When I started a few years back I recall a discussion on terminology. I want to be correct as I move forward.
A '63 Sea Mate sold for $4050 on ebay today. If I wasn't upside down and knee deep in my Thomboy I would have bid. Maybe we'll be hearing from the new owner?
Larry
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

Larry.
The post that I beleve you are refering to is titled Nomenclature.
It was started on Nov. 1, 2010. It is still on the board under the restoration topics.
Once you find it do what I did and bookmark it on your computer for future reference.
Hope this helps.
Karl.