Lap repair guide

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Darryl Siss

lap repair

Post by Darryl Siss »

I am in process of replacing few feet of lap on Grady White. Have friend who is doing. We have used your how to, which is great. However, he seems to think that because he cut each piece at the rib he does not need to do 4 inch scarf as you suggested because connection at rib will be strong enough. Any thoughts?
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Darryl,

I would recommend a scarf joint even with the splice over a rib. There is not enough strength in a straight joint over a rib in plywood hulls.

With the joint scarfed you are making sure the plywood is as strong as it can possibly be and will take the flexing that the hull goes through out on the water at speed.

I would rather be safe then sorry when it come to being out on the water and running into rough water and have a seam break open.

GO with the scarf joint no mater where it might be located.

Good Luck,

Phill
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Totally agree with Phil. Even with my limited woodworking experience, I can say with a high degree of confidence those joints need to be scarfed.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

The whole purpose of a scarf joint is for strength.When done correctly a scarf joint will be stronger than the wood around it.
Is it a PITA? Well it can be but as Phil pointed out, better safe than sorry.
Karl.