Restoration Techniques

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Sea_Skiff_Run

Restoration Techniques

Post by Sea_Skiff_Run »

Hello All,

As a new member, this is my first post to the forum. I've just started the restoration of what I believe to be a 1951 Thompson Sea Skiff. The hull is stamped, C51 0188. It is a sound boat with keel, stem, ribs, transom, planks and gunwales all in place and solid. I just need to refinish the interior surfaces and rebuild seats and decking.

So here is my question. Does anyone have a good technique for refinishing the interior surface of the hull planks? I assume that this hull still has the original construction, clinker built with each overlapping strake fastened with two screws and nuts between each rib. I can't imagine being able to effectively sand in these spaces before applying new varnish. I'm hoping one of you holds the silver bullet! Any ideas?

Regards,

Craig Harms
'51 Thompson Sea Skiff
LancerBoy

Re: Restoration Techniques

Post by LancerBoy »

Welcome aboard!

First off your hull ID does not jive with a 1951 model year boat, even if it is a Cortland, NY built rig it doesn't appear kosher.

Pictures, measuremnts and description of the seating and decks may be required to provide a proper identification.

Removing finish from the ceiling (that's what the interior of the planking is called) is NO fun. It is not simple and there are no quick means to do so. It will take a combination of chemical strippers, heat gun and a scraper and sanding. Some folks have sand blasted but I do not recommend that approach.

Andreas
Sea_Skiff_Run

Post by Sea_Skiff_Run »

Thanks Andreas. I'll open a post under "what do I have" with the measurements and will attach pictures. Good to learn the correct term. I had good success with water soluable orange stripper and power washing when restoring an Old Town canoe. Perhaps il try that again.
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Craig, first off ... welcome aboard. much good knowledge here, just keep asking.
As for the inside of the hull, a lot depends on what you are trying achieve and the condition you are starting with. have you considered a good scrubbing with an agressive cleaner like TSP to clean thing up followed by a light spray application of conventional marine varnish.

Joe B