crusier inc 13 ft. mariner wood windshield trouble

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

oldschool

crusier inc 13 ft. mariner wood windshield trouble

Post by oldschool »

I purchase the windshield gasket from the guy on the home page , he was out and can't get the gasket that goes beween boat and windshield frame.

I would like to know if anyone knew where I can get this too ?

The other thing is what holds the glass & gasket in place ? the boat has now some alum. square metal all the way around holding in place no gasket , that is the way I bought the boat , and looks like home made coustom not the look I want :( :( .

When I look @ pictures of other boats on this site I just see this white gasket.

Any help would be great

Thanks Herb
Oldschool in Indiana
Bill Dunn

Re: crusier inc 13 ft. mariner wood windshield trouble

Post by Bill Dunn »

I am not familiar with the way it is on a Cruiser, but my '59 Peshtigo Thompson has a slot cut in the frame of the side glass just on the outside edge of the glass that one part of the gasket tucks into to hold it in place. The windshield glass has an aluminum frame around it and that is the part that you can tilt out if you want. I hope that helps.
Bill
Attachments
IMG_1942 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1942 (Medium).JPG (64.56 KiB) Viewed 13208 times
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
oldschool

Post by oldschool »

The boat should look like [ I wish some day ] Miles Kapper's boat in Dockside boats

I'm guessing that is white rubber gasket I'm seeing in his picture and not a alum. frame , there is no slit in the frame for the rubber to go in .
Oldschool in Indiana
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

It depends upon the year of the boat and if the boat came from the factory with a windhsield. Many boats were shipped from the factory without a windshield. Then the dealer installed whatever windshield he had on hand or could order from Taylor Made or whomever. The owner could also have ordered the boat without a windshield factory or dealer installed. And sometime afterwards a windshield of who knows make was installed.

Boats pre 1959 did use an aluminum square tube as the window retainer.

Pictures will be helpful and also knowing the accurate year of the boat.

Andreas
oldschool

Post by oldschool »

boat 2 e mail.jpg
boat 2 e mail.jpg (45.33 KiB) Viewed 13168 times
100_0761.JPG
100_0761.JPG (40.36 KiB) Viewed 13168 times
The boat is 1957, the windshield has an alum. 1/4" solid key stock like material holding glass in place.
The windshield is not attached @ this time , I just installed new top wood on the boat.

I guess if this was what was on it originally , I can live with it , I just wanted a cleaner look.

Thanks Herb
Oldschool in Indiana
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

That is original and that's how it was done. It appears to be a factory installed windshield frame. I looked at the brochures and it looks as if 1959 was the first year Cruisers, Inc. utilized the vinyl window retainer. That's the same year Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. also changed from the square aluminum retainer.

I have several pre-1959 Thompson of Peshtigo lapstrake boats with wooden framed windshields and the aluminum stops. Looks fine to me.
Here is picture of a 1956 or 1957 Thompson Off-Shore 18 footer. Not sure if you can see the aluminum glass retainer.

If you are attempting to change to the vinyl retainer, you will have to disassemble the frame and route or cut a groove in which to insert the vinyl. Reassmble after cutting the groove.

Andreas
Rrietman

Post by Rrietman »

when I built new windshield frames for my Cruisers commander, I cut the slot with a 1/8" spline bit and router, after the frames were assembled. looking at the originals, I'm sure this is how it was done originally. this was to fit the vinyl from Doc Lyman (which by the way, works and looks great) I would attach a picture if I could figure out how to do it?
Randy
currently rebuilding a 65 cruisers inc 302 commander
oldschool

Post by oldschool »

Thanke to everyone for the advice

I'll stick to the alum. that is already on the frame , and just clean it up.
Oldschool in Indiana
Ken Butti

Post by Ken Butti »

I just ordered some windshield/deck gasket for my Sea Lancer. Because I ran into the same problem as you, I had to find the closest thing to it. I settled on the ordering from Wefco Rubber Manufacturing Co., Inc., since I was also ordering the 0109G rail bumper from them. The gasket is the Wefco Profile: 1008, which is the window base gasket for the 1957 Mercedes SL 300 SL Roadster. It was the closest I could find, IMO. I'm hoping all I have to do is trim up to the second "tooth," and I'll have just what I need. I'll let you how it turns out. I should have it in a week or so.

Ken Butti
Ken Butti
1969 Peshtigo-Built Sea Lancer
Lacey, WA