Sealing screws on the "splash boards"?

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Dan Wolf

Sealing screws on the "splash boards"?

Post by Dan Wolf »

Well I'm back again and have more questions about my boat and maintaining its beauty. So last summer I notice some water in the back of the boat. I pull the floor boards, get the boat in the water and see what my problems are. I see a leak come in around a screw that has penetrated the hull. It is a screw from the, what I believe are splash boards, on the outside of the hull at the water line. I see a few other holes that have been in the boat but had no screws or anything. My question is this, what is the best way to fill the holes and when I replace the "splash Board" do you just put the screws back in or is there a way to seal them so water doesnt travel in allong threads? I'm pretty sure screws are not supposed to go all the may through, So i'll shorten those but can I put wax on them or something? If I'm gonna fix it I want to fix it right. Thanks Dan
Sheil Kottkamp

Re: Sealing screws on the "splash boards"?

Post by Sheil Kottkamp »

A quick fix would be to pull the old screw out, coat the screw threads with a sealant like Boatlife, it comes in small tubes, then fill the open screw hole with the sealant using a toothpick to shove the sealant in, put in the coated screw and you should be good. In regard to filling old screw holes I have used wood dowels roughly the same diameter of the screw hole and coated them with a good wood glue, then pound them into the hole, sand flush. Before installing new screws in you new splash rail, I would recommend first sealing the inside of the wood splash rail first, i.e., couple of coats of wood sealer of varnish, let cure, then apply a liberal amount of the above mentioned Boatlife to the inside of the splash rail, install. P.S., looks like we may be neighbors, are you connected with Naperville Chevrolet ?
Rookie
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

exactly what Sheil wrote.

Andreas
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

I wish I was the owner of the dealership! Thanks for the info. Going to Minnisota to fish the Big Winnie. Want to be good to go.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Ice fishing I gather. NO open water anytime soon. More snow predicted for tonight up to 8 inches.

Andreas
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

No, I'm planning on first or second week of June. Taking my 13 year old on first father son trip. I hope weather is better then. I can't think of any wood boat repair that is quick, so I'm allowing my self some time. Gotta feel good with the equipment don't ya know.
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

When you say apply to inside of splash board, are you saying entire splash board or just around the areas where the screws are. Also the brads that were nailed into the splashboard to hhold the metal trim went through into the hull, but not threw the hull. This seems wrong to me, there seems to be enough thickness in the splashboard itself. I don't like putting holes in my boat. Dan
Sheil Kottkamp

Post by Sheil Kottkamp »

As I mentioned it appears we are neighbors, you're welcome to bring your boat by and I'll be glad to assist you. I've restored/refinished a number of Thompsons.
Rookie
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

Sent you a Private Message a couple days ago in this regards, Love to stop by!