Type of wood....

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Arnie Brulhardt

Type of wood....

Post by Arnie Brulhardt »

..... Hi guys, long time no hear!

I have a question regarding the type a type of wood to use.
Here's where my terminology becomes sketchy. The wide area of wood coming down from the rubrail to the white sides of the hull... Where the wood ends and the white hull begins there's a half round moulding. Part of the rear section has been getting soft over the past few years and I want to replace it. First, I believe it's mahogany. Am I right? Second, do I have to stain the strip before I varnish it to match the other wood? Third, I imagine any good lumber yard would have it... correct?
That's about it. Not much new to talk about, just using the boat and enjoying it.... like the old days!!

Bye, Arnie
LancerBoy

Re: Type of wood....

Post by LancerBoy »

1. Philippine mahogany species - solid lumber
2. yes, stain prior to varnish. use same stain as on any other stained components of the boat
3. NO, not any lumber yard will carry Philippine mahogany

I made new half round using 3/4" thick mahogany board. Rounded off one edge with router and a round-over bit. Flipped the board over and routed the other edge. Then ran board thru table saw to slice off the newly created half-round. Cut plane slope scarf on ends to make long lengths. Glued end to end - the new scarf joints.

Stained and varnished. Attached with brass escutcheon pins

Andreas
Arnie Brulhardt

Re: Type of wood....

Post by Arnie Brulhardt »

Thanks Andreas!