Rub Rail Installation

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Ken Butti

Rub Rail Installation

Post by Ken Butti »

I got some of the Wefco 0109G rub rail for by boat, and am tryIng to decide how it gets fastened to the gunwale. Currently, I only have a kinda half-round aluminum on there. I'm wondering if that or something like it is used. Help! Thanks.
Ken Butti
1969 Peshtigo-Built Sea Lancer
Lacey, WA
LancerBoy

Re: Rub Rail Installation

Post by LancerBoy »

On Peshtigo built boats starting in 1962, they utilized a combination vinyl and aluminum rub rail. The vinyl was tacked onto the boat and then the aluminum was screwed in thru the vinyl into the boat. The aluminum is in the middle of the vinyl.

Looking at the 1969 brochure, it appears as if this is the same method they utilized on earlier boats. However, since I have never seen a 1969 wooden Thompson, I cannot tell you for sure if this is the same material used in 1969.

Andreas
peteburrs

Post by peteburrs »

Another rubrail question...

I have purchased Wefco's 16G-1 rubrail along with the 1579 insert. What I am curious about is if anyone has any suggestions on how to finish off the exposed ends at the stern?

I greatly appreaciate any responses!
Pete Burrs
Lake Dubay, WI
1959 Cruiser Holiday 250
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

No idea what those numbers mean. But this is what is typical to finish off the ends. The aluminum end caps in the picture below. Two different sizes. The rub rail gets wrapped around the transom and extends a few inches over each side of the transom and these caps get inserted into the vinyl and screwed to the wood.