Depth finder

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Portside

Depth finder

Post by Portside »

Looking at a Hawkeye glue-down mounted transducer depth finder D10D. Anyone have one of these installed? Mfg says works on solid fiberglass or aluminum. Work on a wood hull?
Phill Blank

Re: Depth finder

Post by Phill Blank »

Portside,

I do not think it will work on a wood hull because of the porosity of the wood. Fiberglass and aluminum are solid without any voids.
I installed one of these on a fiberglass sailboat I owned. The instructions advised that if you had a hull with a balsa wood core you needed to cut thru the inner layer of fiberglass and cut out the balsa wood core then sand and glue the transducer housing to the inside of the outer hull.

Good Luck,

Phill
Portside

Post by Portside »

Thanks Phill-
The manufacturer says it will not work thru wood. Just wondered if anyone had tried to skirt the material issue with an ingenious solution. I am not real interested in cutting a 2"hole in the bottom for a transducer.
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Why not hang it off the back of the transom? My father did it on his fiberglass boat and it worked fine.

Verne :)
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

My sons bought me one of the less expensive fish finders at Gander Mtn a few years ago. The transducer hangs on the transom and it works great as a depth finder.
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer